IT2MIDI conversion (Zandro, you might be into this...)

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by fragmare, Apr 4, 2005.

1. fragmare

fragmare New Member

Zandro, i saw you saying you had converted numerous MOD/IT/S3M files to MIDI. I found this IT2MID converter at http://it2midi.chat.ru/, which you might be interested in. I wouldn't know how well it worked, because the .IT i am trying to convert makes the program puke. The documentation says it only works on certain types of .IT files though. The documentation is also in some pretty broken English, as the author is Russian.

As for the .IT i am trying to convert, it's the track, "Razorback" from the Unreal Tournament OST. Maybe you could try your luck with this, Zandro... you stated you had some success converting these files to MIDI, and i'm on the verge of giving up. The Unreal Tournament OST can be downloadedfrom this site.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2005
  2. Zandro

Zandro New Member

I'll take a look at it this evening, if possible. This 'daylight savings' has me in a bad spot, so don't be surprised if I don't show up, because it is likely I'll be asleep.
  3. Zandro

Zandro New Member

That program is utterly useless. Possibly even worse than the ModPlug Tracker MIDI export function. Let me use my own tricks in this...

The only way this can work is if I am allowed to publish the sample data as a SoundFont bank. There is no other way I can convert this crunch tune to appropriate General MIDI specifications and squarely sound like music. Can you use SoundFonts?
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  4. fragmare

fragmare New Member

sure! let me know how it goes. i had a feeling that program was crap. lol
  5. Zandro

Zandro New Member

I have a major problem with the conversion. Razorback has more consecutively playing channels (20) than what MIDI can support (16). Conflicting controller values being transmitted by multiple tracks that have been drafted the same channel issue unpleasant aberration. I can't convert without abridging four channels of the module, but that's probably not wanted... Sixteen channels is the limit of my practice. I should have made that clear. MOD and S3M (and now SPC) are usually assigned what previously was maximum number of available channels (4 and 16, respectively) in their earlier versions, which is why I succeed with them.

The reason I advertised IT is because of its involvement in a backward conversion process of SNES music dumps to the MIDI format, which would utilise up to a maximum of sixteen channels by limitation of the Sony SPC700 DSP, and is therefore applicable to what I say I am able to do. I'm sorry for the confusion. MOD/S3M/XM/IT Modules with sixteen channels or less are all I can do... no more than that.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  6. fragmare

fragmare New Member

Yea, man. It saw that file was 20 channels, and figured that 4 channels would have to be sacrificed for the conversion to MIDI. I had no .IT editing software, otherwise i would have edited out four of the least audible tracks and sent you a 16 channel .IT of Razorback. Such is the world of MIDI, in all it's 16 channel glory. :p

If you'd like to go ahead and remove 4 tracks at your discretion, be my guest. I wasn't necessarily looking for the MIDI conversion to be exact down to every last note of every last instrument. My main goal was to simply end up with something that was recognizable as the Razorback theme.

btw, Zandro... what kind of software do you use to play around with IT/MOD/S3M files, etc.? Is there a program you would recommend?
  7. Zandro

Zandro New Member

ModPlug Tracker. You can find it at www.modplug.com. Registration is free.

How about you decide which channels or instruments to delete, and I'll finish the job. It is not my style to enforce others upon a decision or fate that they might not be comfortable with.
  8. fragmare

fragmare New Member

that sounds good. i'll download that proggie tonight and play around with the tracks until i get something you can use. thanks for the link!
  9. fragmare

fragmare New Member

Here you go Zandro. It's now 16 channels and still sounds pretty good. The first two guitar tracks were identical, each was just panned left and right respectively. I simply eliminated one and moved the other track from panned to center. Tried to find similarly panned tracks for the other 3 as well.

http://www.doom2.net/~dcipher/razorback2c.it
  10. Zandro

Zandro New Member

I hope this works.
  11. Zandro

Zandro New Member

12. fragmare

fragmare New Member

woa! you f**king rock! thanks man. :D
  13. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Ah, thank you for the compliment. I'm pleased to see the end of this.