Jay-Z's The Black Album: The End Of An Era

Discussion in 'Artists/Band Discussion' started by jay-z, Nov 1, 2003.

?

Jay-Z will release his last album soon, how do you feel about Jay-Z's retirement?

1. It's a pity, he is the best rapper around.

10 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. He still has many years of singing left.

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  3. Who's Jay-Z?

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. I don't really care.

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  1. jay-z

jay-z Guest

Jay-Z's The Black Album: The End Of An Era

Album features 'Moment of Clarity,' produced by Eminem, 'December 4,' featuring his mom.

[​IMG]

NEW YORK: Even fans jaded by the precipitous talk of rapper retirements speak about Jay-Z's impending swan song with a touch of sentimentality. They've felt the passion coursing through Hova's rhymes since the days of Reasonable Doubt and they know that when he says he's tired of the game right now, he means it.

Jay unveiled The Black Album during a private listening session Wednesday at Baseline Studios. He sat quietly with pen and paper, going over production credits, song titles and shout-outs while a room full of hungry media types listened intently. The early verdict is that The Black Album will be everything Jay-Z wants it to be — a defining moment in his career. But that's as much because of the music as it is the hype. The album is to be released on the nontraditional date of November 28, the Friday after Thanksgiving, in conjunction with the black version of his signature Reebok shoe, the S. Carter Collection.

Jay is keeping The Black Album efficient: 12 songs, a handful of producers, no guest rap cameos and, aside from an intro track, no skits to interrupt the rhythm of his rhymes. As reported earlier, the first single from The Black Album is "Change Clothes," produced by the Neptunes and featuring Pharrell singing the hook (see "Jay-Z To Change His 'Clothes' For Black Album?"). With a bubbly beat pushing Jay's voice, the track is an up-tempo celebration of hitting the town for the night. The Neptunes make their mark with their signature rhythmic pop-and-synthesized keyboard swells.

While Jay didn't recruit any collaborators for the album, one big name lends his talents behind the boards: Eminem. Slim Shady produced "Moment of Clarity," lending the faintest of vocals to the song's chorus. Em's hard-hitting, minor-key soundtrack frames a Jay-Z confessional — from his feelings on his father to an explanation of why he chose certain paths in his career.

One high profile person who didn't make the album is Madonna. Madonna's cooing pillow-talk on "Justify My Love" is sampled on "Justify My Thug" over a sultry, electro-funk track produced by DJ Quik. Jay explained that Madonna herself was to do the vocals live in the studio, but that he needed to have the album finished by last Friday and she was only available the following Monday. "I'm really late with this already," he said, "I couldn't wait. It's serious."

Other producers on the album include Kanye West ("Encore," "Lucifer"), Timbaland, newcomers the Bucannons, and 9th Wonder from the North Carolina hip-hop group Little Brother. "He's incredible," Jay said. "In two years, everyone's going to know his name."

One other producer helmed the beats for Hov: the legendary Rick Rubin. On "99 Problems," Rubin rigged an old-school rock break that he shuffles back and forth like it was 1982 all over again.

Jay has said he wants The Black Album to capture the spirit and hunger of his early days, before he became a household name. The opening cut, produced by Just Blaze, is titled "December 4," Jay's birthday, and it starts with Jay's birth (10 pounds, 8 ounces, in case you were wondering), and goes through certain experiences in his youth that shaped his early sensibilities — like getting hurt on his bike at the age of 4 and his parents' divorce. The surprise guest on the song: his mother, whose voice is heard in the background of the chorus.

Keeping on the pre-Reasonable Doubt timeline, Jay ends The Black Album with "My First Song," produced by newcomer Aqua, using the title to tie a loop between the story's end and his beginning as an artist — the beginning of his fame to the supposed end of his career.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2004
  2. X-Factor

X-Factor vvv Look it's Billy Hunt!

thas too bad about this being his last album. i really feel that if he wants, he could come back at any time, and he would still be received well by his fans.
  3. Tripple5Soul

Tripple5Soul New Member

Well Jay-Z will definately be missed when he put the mic down. Its a shame this is gonna be his last album. I heard a rumor that after this album he's going to run some record company cant remember the name of it. Anyway what's ya'll favourite Jay-Z song?

Guess who's back
    Song Cry
    Renegade
    Blueprint
    22 two's
    Ballad For The Fallen Soldier

Those are some of my favourites
  4. diskonekted

diskonekted New Member

the game is dying.
  5. iggywh

iggywh New Member

The album hit streets on Nov 4th... only had a chance to listen to it fully once but I'm definitely feelin it. I'm prob not good for an unbiased opinion cause I've been down wit Jay since Reasonable Doubt.
  6. blackaccrd00

blackaccrd00 New Member

I don't even really like Jay all that much but I can say that his new album is nice. One of my favs on the album is Dec 4th
  7. TizOnly1

TizOnly1 New Member

Yeah, I've had the album since last Tuesday, and I really wasn't feeling it too much when I first heard it, but it get's better every time I listen to it. I even like the new single now (I couldn't stand it at first), and almost every song on the album is incredible in its own way. There's only one song that I really don't like on the album (which gives Black an even better "listen straight through-ability" than Reasonable Doubt or The Blueprint). Hov definitely did his thing on this one.
  8. snoopdoggg

snoopdoggg New Member

jay z is great
  9. jay-z

jay-z Guest

what about 'Bring It On (The Best Of)'? guess most of his best songs are in here but I think some good ones are missing.
  10. iggywh

iggywh New Member

I used to serve MP3's on an IRC channel but don't have the system resources for it anymore. My name on the channel was Jigga and I easily have the best collection of Jay-Z songs than probably anyone else except Jay-Z himself. The Bring It On mixtape is aight but it's mostly joints from his album. Go find you some classic Jigga joints. Here are a few I reccomend if you still download joints :

Shai feat Jay-Z - I Don't Wanna Be Alone (remix) ~ I'ma sucker for R&B joints with Jigga verses

Timberlan & Magoo feat. Jay-Z & Twista - Party People ~ Jay just has a short verse but he kills it

Sauce Money feat. Jay-Z - Pre-Game ~ Rare Jigga bringing it straight raw dawg

M.O.P. feat. Jay-Z - 4 Alarm Blaze ~ Eye of the Tiger beat... overall hype joint

Jay-Z & Big Jaz - It's That Simple ~ You might know Big Jaz better by the name he uses now, Jaz-O... old joint but still hot

Jay-Z - People's Court ~ I just can't get over this beat!

Jay-Z - In My Lifetime ~ Copp the original & the remix... both of them are hot

Jay-Z - Dead Presidents ~ Same beat but different flo from the album version (which is Dead Presidents II). This was the very first ROC single.

Jay-Z - H.O.V.A. ~ It's off a DJ Envy mixtape (Desert Storm Volume 1). Great unknown newish Jigga joint

If you want more I can continue to spit out other joints to download.
  11. iggywh

iggywh New Member

I sure hope you're joking dawg... I mean the joint sets up the album and all, but it definitely gets skipped by me.
  12. iggywh

iggywh New Member

What song(s) aren't you feelin on Reasonable Doubt? I could listen to that album non-stop all day long and still not be sick of it. I remember back before bootlegging days I bought like 5 copies over a couple years since I kept wearing out my CD.
  13. acid_dk

acid_dk New Member

He's Not Retiring

He might not be making any more albums, but i bet he's going to make more singles.
  14. TizOnly1

TizOnly1 New Member

I can't stand "Ain't No". Never liked it; never will. That ALWAYS gets skipped. "Brooklyn's Finest" gets skipped all the time too. Not because it's a bad song (I love the song. I'll throw it on by itself), it just doesn't fit into the mood the rest of Reasonable Doubt sets. It's like, I just heard "Can't Knock the Hustle" and "Politics as Usual", and I'm chillin y'know. I know "Dead Presidents" is coming up and I'm just in such a mellow mood. "Brooklyn's Finest" just kills that, so I skip it.

Everything else on the album is straight though.
  15. jlkrol

jlkrol New Member

I think he's doing this just so he can make a come back later on.
  16. TizOnly1

TizOnly1 New Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. If there's one thing I don't like about the Black Album, it's Jay's whining. He spends a lot of time just whining about how he feels he's underappreciated as a rapper. That **** is just lame.
  17. jay-z

jay-z Guest

I think he's whinnin b'coz he didn't really get da credits he really deserves. think of it, these few years, he rapped mo' than any rappers, he made mo' album than any of 'em. not only dat but he also he also features in other songs in collaboration with other artists from Panjabi MC to Beyonce to Memphis Bleek to Pharell to Mariah Carey to Michael Jackson (yeah, MJ's You Rock My World Remix feat. Jay-Z as well). Imagine how sellable is Jay-Z? but da thang is, his own albums don't sell as well as others. mayb it's a message to y'all.
  18. davidhan

davidhan New Member

jay z was good back then when he first started up he could flow and made great lyrics but later on in his career he went too mainstream. this cd, he is going back to his old ways and its pretty good.
  19. TizOnly1

TizOnly1 New Member

Please. Jay-Z sells records. All of his albums go multi-platinum. While they may not sell as much as a Nelly CD (even though Nelly is garbage), he's still selling a whole lot more than rappers that are better than he is.

Like in the second verse of "Moment of Clarity" he even admits that, lyrically, there are better rappers (which is something that a whole lot of Jay fans won't admit), and he sells a whole lot more than all of them. Jay is just mad that people don't consider him to be the best rapper ever. I think that's petty. He makes CDs that he likes. He sells records. It shouldn't matter that people don't put him at number 1. If that's all he's after, it kinda makes his whole career pointless. Rappers should put out music that they feel, first of all, and besides being able to sell (so that they can put out more records) nothing else should matter to a true artist. Rappers egos just get out there, and now he just sounds like a whining ****.

I still like the album though.
  20. jay-z

jay-z Guest

well, TizOnly1, going Platinum doesn't mean his album is as sellable as Em. Jay-Z solds 17 million albums. Em sold 25 million albums. Jay-Z did that with nine albums (not counting The Black Album and The Blueprint 2.1). Eminem sold 25 million albums with less than five albums. Even Backstreet Boys sold 55 million albums within 3 years. yo, I don't mean to criticize Jay-Z, I mean I love him. I think The Black Album is equal, if not as good as Hardknock Life.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2003