"Junk Posting"

Discussion in 'Getting Started/New Member Help' started by OG_, Nov 10, 2003.

1. OG_

OG_ New Member

I just signed up here the other day & I get an email saying "We regret to inform you, but you have been given 6 points for Junk Posting".
    Junk posting?
    That's a bit harsh, I was requesting a song. Fair enough, after getting the email & searching on a DIFFERENT search on this site, I found there was already a thread for the song I am looking for (it's in the "Filled Requests" forum - yet the midi IS NOT there (all the links are dead). - Which validates my original post anyway, but that's not why I'm posting this.
    Not only was my post valid, why are there more than one search on this site? Why can't i search for a song in one place and return results from the entire site? That's ridiculous that I get points for the site's poor design - how am I to know there are multiple search areas? The FAQ says to search the song before posting a duplicate - I did "No Results".
    To top it all off, the email I received said "If you feel this was a mistake or deserve a second chance
    please post a topic in this forum: http://board.midibuddy.net/f72"
    That forum is not longer accepting posts.
    There is no reason users should be penalised for a website's poor design (or, from what I've read about others problems - the power trips of moderators.)
    I should probably start saying my goodbyes, because it seems there is no room for error or freedom of speech here and I expect more points for stating these facts.
    I'd love some answers. Anyone?
  2. advancedflea

advancedflea Nude bodyprint maker

Ok, the reason you got a warning is because a staff member obviousley deemed you were junk posting. If you did something like a one-word/smiley-post and/or put a post up that was totally off-topic.

If a mod thinks youve done something wrong (weather they are right or not) the chances are you WILL get warned. I warn people all the time but I do make sure I can back up my justification for doing it first. useually if its me thats warned you for junk posting the warning will tell you "Junk post again, I WILL ban you" other mods do it a different way.

Warnings dont last for ever, I think the worst one lasts is two weeks UNLESS you get a 20-point one which auto-bans you.

If you need more help or what i just said to you was about as clear as wood, then dont hesitate to ask me. click on the button that says "e-mail" on my post OR the one that says "PM"
  3. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

OG... I feel that you have valid concerns here and will be addressing them to powers higher than I immediately. I don't have the answers immediately but will inform you via PM when I do.

As for the file you were searching - It appears on both of the websites you could have searched (hittrax and the board) would have netted results - and since July as I see it. A little search engine savvy for you: try searching with asterisks surrounding the name *wayne wonder*.... this is a user-based site and not every user follows the naming scheme to perfection. We, as mods, try to rename - but some slip by us. This link http://board.midibuddy.net/misc.php?s=&action=faq&page=2#128 may provide enlightenment as well as the rest of the FAQ's.
  4. advancedflea

I shall take the person who warned you aside and tell him that he has warned you for the wrong thing. the reason you were warned is because you were requestiong a "controlled" file without searching first. THAT was why you were warned but you were warned useing the wrong warning. If you want the warning corrected that can be done but "requestiong a controlled file" is a more serious warning. allthough on the other hand, due to the fact the person who warned you actually warned you useing the wrong warning, if you speack to "theARTISAN" he may wipe the warning out totaly (dont quote me on that though)
  5. tavenger5

tavenger5 Mr Admin Guy Staff Member Admin

I understand the search is a little confusing. The problem is we're working with two completely seperate databases here. I'm working on some solutions that will make browsing easier on the forums.
  6. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

Og_,
    I've removed the warning.
    You have several valid points; thanks for your feedback.
    I'm sorry for the confusion :)
  7. advancedflea

Re: Re: "Junk Posting"

*Points at art* see. toldja he would :)
  8. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

:: warns flea for pointing ::
    :p
  9. advancedflea

*Quickly shoves pointing hand in pocket*

wanst me :D
  10. spicaly

spicaly New Member

im trying to figure out why i have warning points also? the only thing i post on this site is compliments to peoples midis and the occasional midi i make myself
  11. Si

Si Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

You don't have any warning points