Just My 2 Cents..

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by iggywh, Nov 15, 2003.

1. iggywh

iggywh New Member

Coming from someone who's dealt with similar problems maybe I can help shed some light...

I'm an admin on a sports card trading site and we use vB 2.2.9. We have something similar to MB cash... we call it CC (stands for Card Cash). You then could use the CC to buy various sports cards we had in our "store". When we first started, you had 2 ways of getting CC. You got 1 CC per post and you got 30 CC per referral. We went through such hell for like 5 months untill we changed the system.

Knowing how people work, I'm sure you're getting referrals like crazy now. If you look at them, you see that they are "fake" signups just to get MB Cash. You'll also have a TON of junk posts coming now. People will give 1-2 word replies and start meaningless threads just to get MB Cash. Your board will be full of junk very soon.

Sure the point of this board is to share tones... but some people are just flat out clueless when it comes to a computer. Should they be screwed because of that? No... that's not fair. You are going to lose a HUGE part of your members base if you continue with this. Best of luck... but if it was me, I'd change things quick before people leave for good.

Just my 2 cents,
    Iggy!

P.S. If you're interested in a QUALITY sports card trading website drop me a PM and I'll hook you up with a link. I would post it here but that ain't cool spamming your site on other people's forums.
  2. iggywh

iggywh New Member

The post right above mine is a perfect example of what your board will be filled up with in the coming days. With 35,000 members (I don't know how many of those are actually active though) your Mod team is in for some long nights!
  3. Si

Si Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

..has been deleted.
  4. Si

We get junk posts all the time anyway - before we introduced the Midis for $MB. We have to try these things out.
  5. iggywh

iggywh New Member

Oh no doubt... I understand completely. I'm just trying to give yall the heads up to admitt it was a mistake (if it appears to be a mistake) early. The longer you disappoint the masses the more members you lose and other forums gain. Always sucks to see your members, especially the loyal ones, leave your forum and join up with rivals (IE TRACKMASTA... better make this guy happy because he supplies great tone after tone).
  6. Si

Thanks Iggy - we do appreciate feed back from our members.
  7. iggywh

iggywh New Member

No problem man... just figured since I've been through the same thing that maybe I could help the situation somewhat. I really wish I could be an active member on these forums but I really just don't have the time. My admin duties on my site take up most of my internet time. We have about 2200 active members. We prune the members who have been inactive for a month so we can give an accurate count of how many "traders" we have on our board. We went live with the site 03/03/03 (pure coincidence) and since then (about 8 1/2 months) we've had 270,000+ posts. Untill just recently we had a Mod team of just 4 people. We have a lot more to worry about too since we always have to mediate trade disputes and keep banned members off the site. As you may know, you can't ban a dial-up ip. If you do, nobody that uses that dial-up service will be able to use the site. So we always have banned members trying to be sneaky and get back on the site. I feel like I'm a US border control worker sometimes :)

Anyways best of luck to the site and keep on rockin'
  8. tavenger5

tavenger5 Mr Admin Guy Staff Member Admin

iggy, thanks for your feedback. What type of system did your board revert to?

I understand what you're saying. Our situations are similar, however we don't promote the referral feature as much. It does pay members $100 Mb for each referral. Most people are confused on how to use it though.

Also, most people on the boards are looking for one file. It may make more sense to start members off with a 'sign up' bonus = to the amount of a download ($25). This way they get what they want quickly and if they want more they have to contribute in some way. I have to think about it some more. I've already cut the prices in half.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2003
  9. iggywh

iggywh New Member

Nice moves towards progress trav. I would definitely suggest giving a signup bonus. Not only does it help out the people who are just looking for 1 file like you said, but it also starts out new guys with something to look forward to. Since they have it, they learn what it is.

My sites situation is a little different than yours... while MB Cash is really a necessity on here, CC on my forum is just an added bonus. You can use the site pretty much just as well without CC than you can with CC. What we did was cut the CC per post. It gave us a lot less posts at first, but it really cut out the junk and showed us who really was here to trade cards and who was here just to try and get some free stuff.

In place of CC per post, we started a bunch of different daily games & trivia to award members CC. We also award members CC for quality posts... something like a wax box break, helping a newbie out with something, or just a well thought out & written post in general. Since referrals seemed like a quick fix for CC for some mebers, we've had to really watch out new members. It's pretty much standard to check IP's now so it's pretty easy to catch the guys trying to bunk the system.

Needless to say when we first made these changes, people were quite pissed. We tweaked the change some and all has worked out since. Like I said we added the quality post reward, added more daily games & trivia (upping the CC amount on them also), and then allowed users to donate CC to each other (causing CC to then have their own market value). We also started off new members with CC just so it didn't seem so unfair for new members.

As you can see our situations in some way were the same and others were different. As I can tell from your changes already that you are listening to what your members have to say and trying to come up with a compromise. Nice work... keep it up and people will be happy. If you piss off a couple leechers, who cares... but it's your loyal members that you got to keep happy.
  10. talksoccer

talksoccer New Member

I just think you should get a bit more cash for each post :)
  11. jrnman214

jrnman214 New Member

All these replys make alot of sense. Because some people do post to get mb money because all they care about is the files and just want to make sure that they are over 5 post so they can download files.. I know. But with the new rule, you will post for money and some may be junk, and you will get warnings for junk mail. When i first started. i used to post and i never new i was breaking a rule and all of a sudden, my post was deleted and i was issued like 5 warnings and didnt know what they were for. BUt now i watch out what i say, even if i think it okay. Once people get enough money, then they will be ok with the change and offer a Preview of a midi before it actually takes money up. Maybe before it says it will cost you x, it will play but then stop after a certain time and not be allowed to be saved to someones computer. Then the person will know whether they wanna spend mb money on this midi. Even though its not real money but for somepeople. Their mb money is like real money because they may have worked really hard for it. THen they can buy it then download it and every one is happy and they cant say i wasted my money on junk. This has happned to me. I spent money and it was some crap.

Also u can offer money FOr making a good Post topic and everytime somebody replies to your post, you will recieve mb money.
    This will cause more people to post and it wont be junk because they will want something good so people will reply to. Think about it.

Or THe longer the post is, the more money you get for it.. Like somethig like this could be worth maybe about 20 mb money cause its long and says alot and it is giving a suggestion.. Just my 2 ยข
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2003