Karaoke lyrics not coming up on my Roland Screen

Discussion in 'Karaoke Files' started by ivorys88a440, Jan 8, 2004.

1. ivorys88a440

ivorys88a440 New Member

Is there a special way you have to save a karaoke file so that a Roland will read the lyrics in it's LCD screen?

I know it will show the lyrics from the floopy that can with my Roland, so I know it is capable of doing this. This floopy has a .mid extension.

So I quess I am confussed. If there are lyrics on a .mid file what makes a .kar file differant? Sorry for that dumb question but I need to know.

Please excuse me if I posted in the wrong board. If I did can you direct me to the right board to post this question?

Thanks
    ivorys88a440
  2. X-Factor

X-Factor vvv Look it's Billy Hunt!

i believe u need a different program for KAR files to show up. Try VanBasco's
  3. ivorys88a440

ivorys88a440 New Member

Thanks X. I am using a notation program but the lyrics I type in are out of sync and all tied together with no spacing beween words. I used MidiNotate. Did I see that VanBasco is a free download?
  4. X-Factor

X-Factor vvv Look it's Billy Hunt!

i'm pretty sure it is. you can probably just do a little search on google and find it for free.
  5. ivorys88a440

ivorys88a440 New Member

How do you save on VanBasco?

Ok so I downloaded the program...great it was free but can you save song and lyrics onto a floopy? My Roland is a stand along digital keyboard with an on board sequencer and floopy drive. I am not midi connect to pc. I want to save on to floopy then take it to Roland's disk.

Thanks
    Ivorys88a440
  6. ivorys88a440

ivorys88a440 New Member

It's me again. Sorry to be a pest, I used the VanBasco program to find all my midi files that had words. I thought the program was great to go through all of my midi files on my hard drive. It was extremely fast to view and find them. That is the good thing.

The bad is after I found the karaoke files and saved a few on a floopy and stuck it into my Roland I still had no luck with the words coming up on the LCD screen.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?
  7. midiprog2000

midiprog2000 New Member

Hi ivorys88a440,

Midifiles with the extention ".kar" store the lyrics as a text meta event (hFF h01) in the file.
    Midifiles with the extention ".mid" store the lyrics as a lyrics meta event (hFF h05) in the file (recommended by the MMA).

Your Roland needs to find lyric events in order to display the lyrics. But Van Basco Karaoke player is capable of reading .kar files as well as .mid files (which means: reading text-events as well as lyrics-events to display the lyrics).

Try to re-enter the lyrics in the midifile with Cakewalk, and save it as an ordinary midifile (.mid). Play it with your Roland and check the lyrics. This should work.

Kind regards,
    Alain
    www.mididesign.be