Kazaa, Peer 2 Peer, Spyware and You...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by theARTiSAN, May 6, 2003.

1. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

There has really been an overabundance of thread traffic pertaining to Kazaa, spyware and p2p in general building up on the boards lately. I thought I would post a final word on p2p.

What is Spyware: in the interest of keeping this shorter, search online for this… There is a lot of info, including searchable databases and lists of known infected software.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=what is spyware

P2P Clients: What is infected and what is safe?
    Of the dozens of available peer-to-peer networks and clients, how many are safe to use? (A number of these clients claim to be spyware free – however, they still include components such as cydoor, NewDotNet, etc…)
    Common P2P Clients with Spyware
    Common P2P Clients with NO Spyware
    Finding and Removing Spyware: Versions of these p2p clients change all the time, so you’re going to want to use a program to scan for spyware, should they decide to include it down the road.
    AdAware: http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/
    This program will scan, detect and remove spyware components from you computers hard drives, memory and registry. Get it and use it – it’s free.

SpyBot Search & Destroy: http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    Another great program. It catches components that AdAware doesn't, and vice versa. It wouldn't hurt to have and use both programs.

Using P2P to Find MIDI Files:
    Don't bother.
    We have our own MIDIHUB, an entirely MIDI Direct Connect HUB.
    For more info, see here: http://board.midibuddy.net/t3872.html

Other Risks? What P2P you use is really little more than personal preference – in the big picture they are a horse a piece. Just keep in mind that p2p networks carry their own risks:
    • Virus – Many (maaaaany) files are infected. You could get anything ranging from a virus or trojan to a worm. Be sure to scan EVERYTHING you download BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE, and keep your Virus Software UP-To-Date!
    • Watch what you share and download – agencies like the RIAA are watching.
    • No, Really… Watch what you share and download – There are other agencies that host files strictly for the purpose of catching anyone who downloads them. They range from legal/federal agencies to copywrite organizations and anti-piracy groups. They are gaining power, and are resorting to newer, clever methods to get things accomplished. They have been infecting files with viruses and mass-distributing them, posing as regular users in p2p chats… Watch it, because they definitely are watching you
    • Watch who you chat with over the p2p network (or anywhere else). You never really know who you're talking to - many agencies chat openly over p2p networks in hopes of catching people doing things - and they CAN and WILL take action. You could be prosecuted, lose your internet connection for violations of their terms of service or other things just as unpleasant.

I hope you've found something in here helpful - just remember that pirateering/illegally distributing software and illegally sharing music (or any other kind of files) is WRONG!!! blah blah blah blah blah, etc...

RIAA Petition!!! http://board.midibuddy.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82366 Check it out!

06-01-03: edited to correct a few spelling mistakes, and fixed RIAA link
    11-21-03: Added "Stop the RIAA - Petition" link.
    Art.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2003
  2. McNutty

McNutty New Member

Thanks for the tip. Also, you can get Ad-Aware to check your computer for SpyWare. It is a free program that you can get here.

- McNutty
  3. tavenger5

tavenger5 Mr Admin Guy Staff Member Admin

He already said that, but Yes, I would recommend ad-aware to anyone.

One of those search bars somehow got onto my roomates computer. (the ones that sit at the top of the MSIE address bar) Well, it was written like shit or something because it was eating up a ton of ram. Long stopry short we were taking an online exam and his computer crashed! bah! I loaded ad-aware on his computer and it found over 400 things running (including cookies) Everything's good now :)
  4. spiceboy78

spiceboy78 New Member

where do u download definition for norton antivirus for free?
  5. spiceboy78

spiceboy78 New Member

or is there any free and good antivirus software for free???? plz let me know artisan:confused2
  6. theARTiSAN

The easiest way to Update Norton AV definitions would be to use the 'Live Update' feature. It will establish a connection to their server and update all Norton Software updates are available for.
    Otherwise you can get definitions here: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download.html
    Main Page: http://symantec.com/

There is free AV software available(Panda Antivirus, AVG Anti-Virus, etc), but nothing (in my opinion) that is nearly as good as Norton AV (even taking into consideration how much of a RAM hog Norton Programs are - it's still the best...).
    If you have to pay a few bucks for a good anti-Virus, it's well worth it.
    F-Prot (http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/win/) is another real good one (not free).

If you're looking for a free virus solution, download Linux as ISO files (for free), burn them to CD and install them as your primary Operating System. There are not many viruses that affect Linux/Unix/MAC operating systems... Windows? That's a VERY different story. You somtimes get very much what you pay for, and Anti-Virus Software is one of those things.
  7. plan-a-emcee

plan-a-emcee ThA-Fresh-iLLmAtik-MeMbEr

damn I'm more scared then I was before...I mean I knew this but, wasn't exactly sure how it worked ...thanx for the tips...
  8. plan-a-emcee

plan-a-emcee ThA-Fresh-iLLmAtik-MeMbEr

added the software above found 116 things...not too bad but it's worth the d-load ...also that program alexa toolbar was listed what's up with that?
  9. Anubus

Anubus New Member

great tips artisan, love the spyware breakdown
  10. rave

rave New Member

Try this: Turn on Kazaa, then open your browser. Type: "http://localhost". What you'll see will shock you. ;)
  11. Itchycatfish

Itchycatfish New Member

Oh my gosh ...

This sounds so scary.... I've been download mp3s for years and never thought about "traps" set by organizations and stuff. But seriously, come on, about 99% of everyone with a computer probably has an illegal mp3. Can they seriously lock us all up? There isn't enough jail space, seriously ...
  12. fallen77

fallen77 New Member

u can also get virus definition updates from download.com for free
  13. sarquitt2000

sarquitt2000 New Member

kazaalite is the best in my book ive used them all
  14. mysticssjgok

mysticssjgok New Member

this is a very useful thread, im glad they stickied this
  15. Rozza

Rozza New Member

Downloaded the free AVG anti-virus and it found 426 infected files, talk about scary!
  16. theARTiSAN

It reeeeeally pays to keep a good virus scanner (or two) installed and updated.
    Even if you can't find a good free one you like, it's worth the money to buy top-of-the-line protection...

When you're looking, try to get a good balance between user interface ease/power options/updatability and sympathy for your system resources. You don't want a massive resource pig...
  17. theARTiSAN

Re: Oh my gosh ...

I seriously doubt if their goal is to arrest everyone.
    BUT, since it's all about the money (and money LOST), I'm sure they'd be happier with a LARGE monetary compensation for damages... Think of it... If 99% of online people have illegal files, they'd probably earn more by persuing lawsuits than by actual music sales...
  18. rknrne

rknrne Active Member

Great thread .....

I'm sure they'd be happier with a LARGE
    monetary compensation for damages.....

and we already pay for blank cdr's

My question is why does the RIAA get money and someone like Norton or Adobe who I'm also sure have 'suffered' loss of revenue get nothing . Maybe 'they' should sue 'them'(RIAA) for compensation...lol
  19. Nav

Nav New Member

Thanks alot for this post it is really helpful
  20. rknrne

rknrne Active Member

*I see nothing* ( proclaimed in best Sgt Schultz bellow)
    Hogan's Heroes