Keyboards

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by Admyral, May 7, 2004.

?

What's your favorite keyboard?

1. Korg

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Yamaha

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Roland

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Casio

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. Kurtzweil

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. Moog

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other (please specify)

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Admyral

Admyral New Member

I am considering adding a second keyboard to my on-stage perfomance set. I alreaady have a Korg N1 and love it. Does any one out there have any specific preferences or advice?
  2. Mystic_Puppy

Mystic_Puppy New Member

well my grandma has a Yamaha and its okay I guess I really wouldent know............. sorry for wasting your time.
  3. EdSpess

EdSpess New Member

It really depends what you want to do with it. I have to say that the current Korg keyboards are pretty impressive. I had a play with the MicroKorg analogue modelling synth the other day and it sounds fantastic.

I always had something of an aversion to Roland and Yamaha in the old days but I've heard very good reports of things like the JV sound modules.

I use the following, (though not for live performance,):

1) Ensoniq ESQ1 - Vintage wavetable synth, lovely filters and modulation options.
    2) Casio CZ1000 - Budget Phase Distortion synth useful for metallic and clanky sounds. (Cost me £70 about seven years ago.)
    3) Akai SG01V - Vintage sound module.
    4) Novation Xstation - MIDI controller/audio interface/K-Station analogue modelling synth. AWESOME.
  4. Admyral

Admyral New Member

I still have on old CZ1000 (It was my first "synth"). The display on it broke, but I can't bring myself to throw it away...

Thanks for the reply.
  5. EdSpess

EdSpess New Member

If it still makes noises then why ditch it!

Mine is in near perfect condition. When I bought it it looked like it had hardly been used.

A friend of mine bought the original CZ101 when they were first released, great original sounds at the time. The only downside to them is the limp MIDI implementation.

(I've got a VZ10 module as well but it is really counter intuitive, still makes some HUGE sounds though.)

On the whole I prefer synths where you can understand the signal path and easily change all of the sound shaping parameters. Give me my old Yamaha CS01 or Realistc(Tandy) Concertmate and I could happily tweak things for hours:)
  6. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

When I played live I used a Roland A50 mother keyboard with midi links to a Roladn JV880 for fantastic piano and strings and EMU Classic Keys for the Hammond B3 sound. Still use them in the studio.
  7. willi001

willi001 New Member

Korg Trinity all the way, unless you go for the Triton Workstation,,woohoo....
  8. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

Loved Ensoniq but had problems with servicing it in my area. So many choices. Would probably just get a Roland EP and use a great sound module. Heard the Triton was pretty fabulous, as well as the high end Yamaha boards. Have fun.
  9. OsiVIper

OsiVIper New Member

My Personal Favorites are Casio and Yamaha
  10. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

I really like the Korg Trition, wonderful selection of sounds to choose from. :)

BTW it looks like you spelled "Kurzweil" wrong, there Admyral. ;)

Don't sweat it though. :)
  11. furyx

furyx New Member

CASIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. merianne

merianne New Member

I really dig the Roland Fantom. Hey, what soft synths are you guys using for recording. I've been using Reason for about a year but was wondering if I am missing the boat on another app.
  13. Admyral

Admyral New Member

As it turns out, I wound up staying true to korg and bought the Triton. The bass player for the band now gives me grief because my keyboards weigh more than his amp stack!