Know how to embed streaming midi and audio in a PHP forum?

Discussion in 'Web Sites' started by Ron Roos, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Ron Roos

Ron Roos New Member

Does anyone know how to embed midi or real audio media in a php message board, so uploaded .rm or .mid files will display the player in the message itself, not just the link that when clicked, brings up a secondary page to play the clip? I want to accomplish this in a yabbse forum: MIDI-CONTEST.COM Message Forums
    Please advise if you have any idea. Your help is appreciated, I'm stumped at the moment.

RR
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2002
  2. temp101

temp101 New Member

the answer!

try this. <embed src="file.ext" loop=-1>
    its the easyest thing you can use!
  3. Ron Roos

Ron Roos New Member

Re: the answer!

PHP dude. not html. Users can upload files just like in here,
    and the php posts it as a link. What I want is for the users to upload the file, and the php script to dynamically write the filespec into the source so that when it generates the html, the attachment will view as an embedded player. Users may not post html into this forum. That's why they came up with bulletin board code... using other symbols.... if you could just write any html into a forum message, that would be dangerous. This has to be done by the php code, so your "easy" answer will not work.
    RR
  4. tavenger5

tavenger5 Mr Admin Guy Staff Member Admin

Welp, we could try and pick apart the routine for this forum, Ron. e-mail me :)
  5. Ron Roos

Ron Roos New Member

John, where are you located? A phone call, or at least a realtime chat, or instant messenger might be quicker... hehe...
    Anyhow, take a look at LYRICWARS ... you'll see that he has configured his yabbse board (also php, like this one) to embed the player, and he won't share the php with me.. (how selfish, huh? ... heheh... hell, I'll share anything I got with anyone that has a need, except my last beer or my girlfriend, know what I mean? ;) )

What he's doing is creating a RAM file, which is ASCII... pure text, which contains the url where the RM file is located....

pnm://hostname/path

For example, you might have the following reference for file mysong.rm :

pnm://www.site.com/mysong.rm

The metafile does not require any other commands or information. You can put more than one file location in the metafile, and it will play each file consecutively. When saving the metafile, use the .ram extension. The previous example might be saved in a file with the name welcome.ram.

In your HTML document, reference the metafile in a hyperlink, as follows:

<A HREF="http://www.real.com/welcome.ram">Welcome!</A>

The metafile does not require any other commands or information. If you have spaces or control characters in this file, some versions of the Player will not be able to translate the text into a URL. You can put more than one file location in the metafile, and it will play each file consecutively. When saving the metafile, use the .ram extension. The previous example might be saved in a file with the name welcome.ram. When you ftp the metafile to your Web server, choose ascii for the transfer mode.

..............That works for a regular html page... what I want to do is tell the php script to build it with this variable inserted into the code..

I'll write ya.

RR
  6. Ron Roos

Ron Roos New Member

ram vs rpm

...actually I believe he's calling up an *.RPM file, not a *.RAM file....

...same principle though.

RR
  7. Ron Roos

Ron Roos New Member

I finally did it !!!
    I modified the php for the MIDI CONTEST FORUM so we can post STREAMING MIDI FILES that stream in the message view.
    It uses windows media player, EMBEDDED in the message display.
    Song autostarts when user opens up the message view and displays in a Media Player window, with controls at the touch of a button.

Check it out:

http://midi-contest.com/yabbse

Yee Haw!

RR