Korg Trinity and Cubase

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by willi001, Jul 21, 2002.

1. willi001

willi001 New Member

Hello everybody,
    I am new to MidiBuddy and wanted to ask if any one else was working with a Korg Trinity. It is an excellent sequencer and great for working on all kinds of stuff. I have a question about drum tracks. I can't get any of the kits in the Trinity to synq up with the drums off a standard midi file....Does any one know if this is even possible? What I do now is delete the drums and rebuild them myself on the trinity. I use cubase for some editing but with the Trinity's powerful editing features I do most of the work on the keyboard itself...
    Thanks in advance, Willi...
  2. Declan

Declan New Member

I have the same problem using the TR rack with cubase.
    It's annoying as I will also rebuild the drums from scratch. I'll be speaking to a friend at Korg UK soon to see if its possible to sync it up properly. In the meantime try the following:
    I've read that the drum kit is out by an octave(12 notes), so ty grabbing all notes in each track from within Cubase and transpose that track up by a single octave This is supposed to work but If it does'nt i'll get back to you with further info.
  3. Declan

Declan New Member

Trinity and Cubase(midi)

Ok willi,
    The basic thing that I have been told is that the Trinity or the TR-Rack were never designed to work with General Midi. They are considered too professional for that, so its going to take a bit of work to adjust to working with drum tracks and Cubase.
    Firstly, do you have the floppy disks that came with the Trinity?
    There apparently is a general Midi drum map on one of the floppy disks. If you have the manual it should refer to this on page 74.
    Otherwise, you'll have to manually select the sound for each channel (remove the program changes embedded in the midi data before playing back), and then you'll have to set up your own compatible drum kit.
    The TR- Rack allows you to create a user defined kit, and it's not that hard to find a listing of GM drum mappings. You are using Cubase so you could split out the the drum track to seperate drum tracks by Midi drum note, and then transpose/ remap each note to the appropriate note on the TR-Rack drum kit for the sound that it is supposed to be.
    Basically either way it is going to take a bit of time but less than deleting and rebuilding drums from scratch.
    The good thing is that in Cubase, you can set up a "Drum Map" template for as many drum kits as you want, and the drum map template can be used to remap incoming Midi notes to different Midi out notes. So, you can set up a drum map that traslates the GM drum notes to the proper note on a particular Trinity or TR-Rack drum kit. I don't have any drum maps at the moment but if you do some searching on the web, you may find a drum map for this purpose that somebody else has made.
    I hope this is of some help.
    Good luck,
    Declan
  4. tracee

tracee New Member

hi there willi

we seem to keep meeting. i wrote to you not long ago, your from british columbia, i meantioned id love to see the place.

i have a korg trinity workstation pro. i have never had any problems matching up the drums with the midi tracks!

the major of it though is actually loading it on and finding the right track to go with the right sound. Make sure you have got the right tracks eg (maybe check the tracks 9-16 incase there are some more tracks there that could be drums).

umm What else, if you want to delete what you believe to be the correct drum track - on the front page of your sequencer make sure the auto/manual/ button at the top is on manual. (its just a safety procaution.) go inot page 5 and delete that whole track.

Then take note of - i think it is page 2 of the sequencer - which channel the track is on eg midi channel 1,2,3 etc.

you will need to know that cause once you record your drums again you may not hear your work if it is not on the same channel.

then just record as usual.

i hope that made some sense.

tracee good luck
  5. Expedish

Expedish New Member

Can anyone help me. I have a Korg Triton Pro. The problem I have is when I use s. play (SMF playback) to play a general midi file, track # 10 on the midi file sometimes changes to a keyboard or piano sound instead of a drum. When played in cubase track 10 is a drum track. I am able to change the track to a standard drum kit in the triton but I have to do this everytime the midi file is restarted or when a new midi file is played. There are occasions when I start a midi file and the drum track is ok, but then when i start the next file track 10 is a piano. Is there a configuration setting that I am missing or do i have to save it diffrently from cubase? Does anyone else have this problem? Please help, Thanks
  6. Emusic

Emusic New Member

Thing is that the korg Trinity series isnt GM (General Midi) compatible. But there is a cure. The Trinity comes with a disk that makes it 100% GM compatible but at the price of reducing the soundquality of the pure and great Trinity sound.
    It's better to remap the GM instrument tracks to proper Trinity instruments and then make a drummap in your sequencer that is similar to the GM drum map.
    That should do the trick.
    That way you get much better sound quality.
  7. Emusic

Emusic New Member

The reason your track #10 is changing to some other instrument is that the midi data on the track contains information about a patch number that corresponds with the patch number in a GM setup.
    You need to delete that info or change it so it corresponds with the patch number (instrument) you want the track to play on.
    This is normally done from list view of the tracks data.
    The name list view might be different in your sequencer. I think both Cubase and Sonar uses the term list voew. Probably many more sequencers uses this name as well.
  8. ssaboe

ssaboe New Member

I have been reading this thread...have similar issues...what program should I use to remove the embedded program changes or to change the assigned voices? I am using the Yamaha S90 (do love the Triton though!)
  9. Emusic

Emusic New Member

You should use a sequencer. Name of a few is: Cubase, Sonar, ProTools and so forth
  10. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

Give Anvil Studio a try. Holler if you need any help. :)
  11. ssaboe

ssaboe New Member

Thanks - working well!