Lead or Bass?

Discussion in 'Guitar' started by kleinbergh, Aug 28, 2002.

1. kleinbergh

kleinbergh New Member

Howdy!

Just wanna get some advice from you guys (and girls)

I've been playing a accoustic for a while, but now I feel like something with a bit more edge.

1) Should I get a straight foward electric guitar or should I rather learn bass?

2) What should I keep in mind when wanting to buy?

3) How difficult is it to convert from accoustic anyway?

Thanks in advance!!
  2. twist

twist New Member

You should play bass.. You'll get heaps more gigs and make loads more money.. Plus you get to hold the band together by laying the groove.. and you get to see the singer get heaps more chicks than you.

(I've played guitar for 15 years professionally... time and time again i see this sh*t happen... trust me on this one!)
  3. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

I think everyone learns guitar on acoustic, and thats a good thing. Its easier to press down the strings of an electric, so your little fingers should be quite strong enough to make the transition easily.

I agree with twist. Learn the bass. You'll always be able to get in a band if you play bass. Anyone trying to form a band knows the eternal riddle of the ever elusive bass player.

Oh and since your a girl that makes it even better. Noone pulls a crowd quicker than a female bass player! Uh, I meant noone ATTRACTS a crowd quicker than...I didn't mean....nevermind.

If you do decide to take up the bass. Learn 2 things, Major scale and Minor scale these are the backbone of all bass playing, and lead playing. So while your learning the bass, you're actually learning lead aswell.

Good luck and Rock on! :thumbsup:
  4. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

I have to agree..
    Bass is a good foundation for anything. learning the basic major and minor scales is important in any guitar playing foundation.
    then you can get onto learning different modes.

Dave
  5. kleinbergh

kleinbergh New Member

3 against well...none!! I think I'll go have a look over the weekend, just to get an idea how much I must save. I hate this part - getting all excited and then looking at my bank balance... sob.

Oh and Voice; I didn't know a girl needed a bass to pull (or attract) a crowd, I thought she must just show up :)

Take care you all!
  6. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

How right you are.:cool:
  7. California Sky

California Sky New Member

If you start to learn lead guitar you can use that to play bass as well, and vice versa so why not play both?
  8. NOFX ROCK!

NOFX ROCK! New Member

Totally agree with California Sky. I play bass mainly but have got a 6 string as well. Now I play both. I found that the 6 string improved my bass playing 'cos runs are a bit easier when I learned them on the 6 string so it was easy to move to the bass and play them. Also the finger stretching on the bass made that easier on the six string.
    Also I played in a three piece bass, guitar and drums band and occasionally I could lay down the bass, pick up an acoustic and the guitarist and me would play a few acustic numbers.:thumbsup:
  9. willi001

willi001 New Member

What do you mean "watch the singer get way more girls than you"???? I play bass and do okay!!!..Oh wait,,I'm the singer as well:);)
  10. Legolas313

Legolas313 New Member

stay with accustic (sorry i just can't spell) i personally like it much better then any other one