learning acoustic guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar' started by studiotrax, Oct 4, 2002.

1. studiotrax

studiotrax New Member

I am learning how to play the acoustic guitar.
    can anyone recommend info/site that helps with fingering --I keep having trouble with the sound it is muted and vibrates and all. I need to learn how to make the chords sound clear.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2002
  2. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

have u tried www.harmony-central.com ?

as far as getting the chords clean try this. when you have your fingers in place ready to strum a chord, try playing each string one at a time. if the string rings out clean move to the next one. if it is muted or vibrates look to your fingers and find out why. fix it so it sounds clean and move to the next one.

did you know when you position your fingers onto the fretbord, your finger should be just behind the fret(almost ontop of it) not in the middle inbetween the frets. this helps cut down vibrating.
  3. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

Don't know if it's chords you're after but this is a great link for finding chords
    http://chordfind.com/ :thumbsup:
  4. jessicag

jessicag New Member

Make sure you have a fairly decent guitar. I bought a second hand one for my first accoustic to practice on for $70 A and you couldnt' play the notes clean as it was rooted.
  5. evansst

evansst New Member

Possibly the muted sound may be because you need to cock your wrist out further from the neck so you don't have your fingers dampening the string, below the one you are trying to hold down....:nono:
    We're linked to one another by such slender threads...

—Neil Peart
  6. arschgeige

arschgeige New Member

7. Ronny

What did you think about Vapour Trails?

Q. How many drummers does it take to change a lightbuld?

A. 10, one to change the lightbuld and the other 9 to discuss how much better Neil Peart could've done it!!:thumbsup:
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2002
  8. evansst

evansst New Member

I don't know Vapour Trails

Sorry, I'm just a drummer... I don't know how to spell lightbuld.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

—Neil Peart
  9. Ronny

Sorry man, I'm lysdexic!!
  10. chriscc

chriscc New Member

is it true neil started as a bass player but found it limiting and expressionless
  11. jessicag

jessicag New Member

This is going to sound silly but when i was learning accoustic guitar (steel string) i kept getting blisters and was being sooky about it....anyway the lady in the music store gave me electric strings one day and i was too lazy to go back and change them so i put them on and it made learning the guitar much more pleasant!
  12. evansst

evansst New Member

That'cool Ronny... I type with 2 fingers and still manage to press 6 keys at a time....:rolleyes:

—Neil Peart

Attached Files:

13. evansst

evansst New Member

Jessicag... try Thomastik strings - medium. They feel lighter than most medium strings - especially D'addario's. I've used them on 12 & 6 string acoustics ffor a long time....:thumbsup:
  14. jetsam

jetsam New Member

muting and fret buzz is entirely due to finger position and strength. It will be easier with lighter guage strings, the finger position as mentioned earlier should be slightly more behind the fret than between the two, however if the string action is high - as is with most acoustic guitars (i.e. have to be pressed down deep) then it could make it harder - and finger weakness will lead to more buzz! It is important in the early stages not to practice for too long in one go - as fingers fatigue they give up and your sound will get worse. This is coupled with fingertip tenderness. Over-practice one day and you won't be able to press the strings hard enough the next. You can get a better grip if you bend the wrist a little so that you can squeeze the neck between the thumb and the fretting fingers. Action can be lowered by using a smaller bridge, bridges and nuts could be shaved to reduce the depth. if a chord doesn't sound clear - ring each note and correct it. Sometimes muting comes from strings being muted by other fingers getting in the way. If you test each string independantly it is easier to troubleshoot. It will take 6 months until fingers are getting stronger and stop hurting so much. Don't cut the fretting fingernails too short as they will sl. protect the fingers from pressing too hard causing pain and swelling! Good luck it Soooo worth it!
  15. marc pelletier

marc pelletier New Member

Chordfind.com is great if you find wich one...
  16. metaldoggie

metaldoggie New Member

The other reason why people tend to press harder when they are just starting is because the fingers are unbalanced and you have to overcompensate on the weaker fingers for the stronger ones.

In time this will go away as you get more used to pushing down the strings.

Having said that its still important to make sure the guitar is set up well. Even cheap guitars can be made to play well with enough attention.
  17. M.O.T.E.

M.O.T.E. New Member

I Have A Chord chart program posted here at Midi Budy
    http://board.midibuddy.net/t14040.html
    Check it out............:thumbsup:
    i will show over 8000 chords
    or 24 differant ways to play Em just follow the instuctions.
    It would also help to know a little about Chords.
    really try it!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: