Life like midi?

Discussion in 'Sequencing Software' started by dmonitto, Nov 17, 2004.

1. dmonitto

dmonitto New Member

Sorry to sound like a noob (even though i am!) but i am wondering how i can update my midi files on my computer so that i can get better sounding samples? thank you!
  2. Zandro

Zandro New Member

MIDI files do not contain audio samples like MODs or ITs, or other various tracked formats you'd come across. MIDI files are simply a sequence of commands to be sent to a synthesiser that contains the audio data or sine/square/saw frequency modulators to attempt to replicate the song in its natural fashion. The latter is not well-recognised any more, but software modules / synthesisers are wide-spread and available in many different levels of quality. Personally, I use SoundFonts with Sound Blaster Audigy, but this can also be emulated with Synthfont at www.synthfont.com for PC users. You could select a different synthesiser if you have another available, but I'm not a Mac user, so you'll have to go to someone else to ask how to change it.

Many people simply connect their keyboards to their computer and change the output port, but again I don't know anything about Macs. ;/
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2004