Live Guitar Sound

Discussion in 'Guitar' started by voice of god, Sep 17, 2002.

1. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

what do you guys use for a live guitar sound?

I'm using Line6 POD straight into P.A(for duo work) but I'm thinking of using an amp to get a more live sound.

Like a Marshall quadbox(never had one yet)
  2. Sizzla2k

Sizzla2k New Member

Well I guess it's the best way to immitate live guitar sound
  3. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

Live Guitar Sound.

Hey Voice, cool thread.

I play an Ibanez electric and a Fender 100 watt twin with built in chorus. The "Dirty Channel" is so good I don't use any other effects. I just line-out to the pa for some larger gigs but usually don't.

My Seagull acoustic is direct to the pa and I use a Boss ME30 effect pedal (bright acoustio effect) which gives the richest sound ever.:thumbsup:
  4. boudreaufrancis

boudreaufrancis New Member

For my live guitar sound, I simply use a line 6 flextone II and a boss gt-5 as a foot controller and for effects... I really didn't wanted to buy that line 6 very expensive foot controller but, I liked the sound of the guitar amp simulation..... Sounds like you have many amps in the same box and quite realistic!!
  5. strummer

strummer New Member

I just use a GT-5 in to my Peavey PA now that sounds a bit naff but I get some great sounds and I don't have to carry my twin or marshall around with me.....save me space and back ache.

Strummer
  6. davph30

davph30 New Member

I have a v-amp2 and have tried the pod etc but still use my trusty old DIGITECH RP1 for playing live and plug it into 2 channels on the PA sounds great.
  7. midiaxe

midiaxe New Member

For live sound, I use Roland VG-88 to a Roland KC-300 keyboard amp. The VG-88 gives me all the sound that I need from acoustic guitar to nylon to 12 string, from a strat to a les paul to a rick, using just one guitar.

-MX
  8. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

I use a Boss VF-1 wither DI into the PA for duo..
    or my Marshall Quad for the trio gigs...
  9. voice of god

Dave, what do you prefer and what sounds best, the amp or straight to P.A?

If I was going to buy an amp(a loud one)Anyone got advice on the best amp out there?

Is it a Marshall stack, Fender twin, Wizard or whatever else there may be? Anyone swear by their amp of choice? Or any dud amps to avoid? Let's hear it.
  10. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

I personally love nothing more than the the sound of a marshall JCM900 pumped thru 4 X 10" Speakers and the amp set to 11

But it is not practical for all purposes....

Hence the DI solution...the VF-1 does a pretty good job...but it ain't a quad box...

Recorded it doesn't sound too different( i usually use a messa boggie sim for that)

Dave
  11. mkharvey11

mkharvey11 New Member

Here we go:
    ELECTRIC RIG (I'lldo just that fo now)

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Custom '57 reissue Black Beauty (for thick rock sound)
    Fender Roland ready strat with Duncan pickups (for strat/midi sound)
    Ibanez S-470 with amber flamed maple top (for whammy shred stuff)

Amp & Effects:
    For small venues I use a Hughes & Kettner Tube 50 1-12" combo. For bigger venues I use a Hughes and Kettner Tube 50 Half stack. Either way the wiring and settings are the same, so the only change in sound is the cabinet.

I built a custom pedal box (top of case comes off like a Fender Rhodes piano)
    On a panel is a plug for guitar input and another row of plugs for "to preamp" then "from effects send" and two (for stereo when recording or sending to midi box) "to effects returns" Also, in the row is a midi footswitch plug. I had both amps modified to use MIDI cables for the footswitch instead of the other 5-pin non-standard cable.

in the pedal box: My guitar goes first into a Boss pedal tuner then to a Morley Bad Horsey Wha. That is sent to the Hughes & Kettner preamp. I use the H&K footswitch to select between clean and 3 different distortions. After the preamp, the effects send goes into a Boss Tremelo pedal, then an MXR phase 100, then a Danelectro Dan-echo Delay, then a TC Electronics Chorus/Flanger, then a Boss Stereo Volume pedal. (I put the volume last so that adjusting it does not affect my distortion drive) The volume goes back to the effects return into the tube power amp.

If I want MIDI: I route the "guitar out" on the Roland GR33 to the "guitar in on my box, then "to effects return" to "guitar Return" on the Roland. Then the roland "mix out" to the power amp.

Nothing beats real analog stomp boxes and tube distortions. It's about TONE.
  12. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

Wow mkharvey11. I've seen professional touring bands playing over here who don't have a set up like that. I can only dream of a set up like that. If I had it I'd never take it out of the house!!
  13. mkharvey11

mkharvey11 New Member

If you don't take it out the house what's the point of having it?

The pedal case I built is real sturdy and I have hardshell cases for all the guitars. The Roland guitar synth setup usually stays home. I've only needed it live once. I use it a lot in the studio though.

Also, I own a recording studio and I let my customers use anything in that setup, so on paper, I really bought that stuff for the business. I usually get people coming is the studio with all-in-one digital processors that you can get away with live, but you don't want to put on your record. They are a lot of bang for the buck but they suck the real tone away. They use my analog effects and tubes to get that full dynamic tone like you hear on other professional records. The ONLY all-digital processors I would trust for not losing tone is the Boss GT-6 or the Roland VG-88.

Hope Ricky W. works for you guys.
    Go Saints!
  14. voice of god

mkharvey11, have you tried any line6 gear, whats your opinion on them?

Also what do you think is the best amp head and why?
  15. gmusic02

gmusic02 New Member

i run my acoustic taylor 314ce straight to PA, using stomp boss chorus and boss equalizer (for volume control during solos), for now, it does the trick for me.

thanks to all here with their great tips as i will soon be incorporating electric into my set.

g
  16. voice of god

Ahhh The sweetness of simplicity g
  17. mkharvey11

mkharvey11 New Member

to: Voice of God

I think line-6 is one of those "a lot of bang for the buck" processors. Pretty good, but I wouldn't take it over good analog gear. Like I said, the Roland processors are the only that come close to analog (and they're not cheap)

Amp heads:
    There are a lot of good ones out there- I use the Hughes & Kettners because they have such a distinct variety of tones ranging from marshall-like to Fender-like to Boogie-like. H&K is one of the few all-tube amps that has such a variety of tone. Marshall, Fender, and Boogie all sound great, but have a single distinct sound. There are other good tube amps out there like Soldano and Rivera. Don't get something because of name-brand. Go play every amp head at every music store in town. Also, you get what you pay for. More expensive amps usually sound better, so if you look for something in the same price range as the Boogie, then it's going to be good.

Digital amps: I've played through a couple- I'm not too crazy over the Line 6 or the Johnson. However, Yamaha makes a pretty good one- it has motorized knobs so the presets dial up the knob positions then you can adjust it from there if you need to. That solves the general problem
    I have with the digital stuff. You get the presets sounding great at home, then you take it to the reheasal room and it's different- then every club you play- it's different. At that point you're stuck unless you re-program. That's why I use real old-school stomp boxes.
  18. voice of god

Thanks for the advice mkharvey, thats good stuff.

I like the sound of the H&K's versatility and I am definately going analog.

I've heard a few Soldanos and I like that sound(spongy?), but they don't seem to have the chugchug thump of a Marshall. I would love an amp that combines both. Maybe its the HK.

Have you heard of Wizard Amps ? I read a few articles on them lately and they're supposed to be excellent. Built to army specs. and great sounding.
  19. draccon

draccon New Member

I play a Jem (the frist model ,Black with the tree of life inlay) through a 5150 (normally a JCM 100 but i got to the gig 2 weeks ago & instest of checking my gear i had a beer with my duo buddy only to start the frist set to find my marshall had deciced to take the nite off,. ALWAYS SOUND CHECK!!) anyway theres nothing i like better than wheeling my amp & quad into a wee pub
    & watching the looks on peoples face`s ( i`m a big hair rock dude) to boot (yes i know living in the past, but i love it):smart: dam i can waffle
  20. draccon

draccon New Member

To "voice of god".
    Line 6 gear rocks dude ,lots of guy`s are switching to them here in my home town, But the best amp in the WORLD is now MESA BOOGIE:finger: Man i seen those babies last week in the shop they`re $8500 here in New Zealand & LOUD & they look
    like something god designed himself ,i WANT ONE , but @ that price i`ll be saving for a while.
    Cheers, Drac