Live Guitar Sound

Discussion in 'Guitar' started by voice of god, Sep 17, 2002.

1. draccon

draccon New Member

To mkharvey11
    :jawdrop: nice set up dude
  2. jetsam

jetsam New Member

I'm very happy with my Marshall Valvestate 100W (VS100), this is pretty loud, and has a tube head for a proper tube sound. It has a power dimension button - to drive it harder to emulate it's loud profile when quieter. It's loud enough to play to a hall of several hundred people adequately, and is not so heavy i can't carry it. Obviously has a transistor second stage and not as nice as the bigger fully tubed amps, but its affordable. For home studio use i use my pedal board with a Boss ME 10, cry-baby wah and Sansamp GT2 for amp emulation - a purchase i have never regretted, it really is beautiful when overdriven on its marshall emulation. Lovely harmonics! The output is line level and safe to put into my computer for sequencing / practicing against mp3's
  3. Nyxan

Nyxan It wont hurt for long Staff Member Moderator

We just mic up the marshall. Can't beat it
  4. jetsam

jetsam New Member

I agree - that'll give the best sound, but I often practie at night with headphones to avoid irritating wife or neighbours!
  5. scenario

scenario New Member

I use a 1973 Fender stat L/t that I bought in '77.
    I have a Roland GT3 which I favour but also a Behringer Vamp. The Behringer is easy to use but a pain in the neck to set up every evening because it needs a Morley volume pedal and also its own 2 pedal box for patch selection to be any use on stage. I select patches mainly over midi driven from my sequencer.
    |The Gt3 is 'the one' though although it took me a while to get a good sound on it. I would recommend this one to anybody for live work
  6. song demon

song demon New Member

Guitar wise.... i go for Ibanez! Got a 540 Power which is beat-up now after many years of use and abuse but still plays and sounds incredible..... and just bought a 7 string Ibanez RG series, which is interesting to play!

Live, I use a Boss GT-6 effects processor, which I send either to a Marshall Valvestate 2000 Combo with an additional 4x12 Marshall Cab, or (if the venue allows, which it often doesn't :( ), to The Valvestate combo AND a Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead Ltd Edition Head and 4x12 angled cab. And that setup is a killer, trust me!

Can't see how anyone would want to gig without some sort of real amp/combo..... surely that takes away alot of the fun!
  7. Stilcrazy

Stilcrazy Just a Regular Midi Guy

Working here with a Strat ... GT6 for effects ... thru a Blues Deluxe set to clean settings.
  8. beaster

beaster New Member

The Line 6 POD rocks!! Any guitar sound you could possibly want is right there in one unit!! And you can always download more!!

If it's an amp you desire, I'd definitely stick with line6 (the flextone), which is basically the AMP version of the POD, I guess.
    OR
    Get a power amp and a couple of cabinets (if its feasible). I am running the POD (L & R) into both sides of a Peavey CS-800 Power Amp which goes into two Marshall cabs (4x12) so I have a stereo signal. It's great and also works very well at low volume. By the way, I use a '75 Les Paul thru this, and sometimes a Fenser Strat Plus, but mostly the Les Paul.
  9. beaster

beaster New Member

Oops, yes I know that was supposed to be Fender....
    sorry!!
  10. rknrne

rknrne Active Member

I use a music man 210rd and an 86 Fender Strat with analog pedals also. od chorus dd wahwah

I tried the rockman /zoom 505 trip but it just isn't the same as having to replace patch cords all the time. joking
  11. besty

besty New Member

Live Guitar

I also use POD direct into the PA! I wouldn't bother changing in a duo situation because I think you can't beat the POD sounds at that lower volume. Even at a higher volume it still goes well!!

Besty
  12. besty

besty New Member

Oh yeh! I use a strat plus with a seymour duncan custom humbucker in the bridge! Didn't like the lace sensor there but like it in the front! It sounds great with the POD!

Besty
  13. chriscc

chriscc New Member

mesa boogie tone is spectacular and easier to carry and heeavy.i still use a fender 35 watt 10" speaker sealed in an enclosed cabinet and miked.works great. quiet stage and live guitar sound.i like the stage quiet so i can hear the front end and try to save what hearing i have left
  14. hootch

hootch New Member

The Boss GT6 is the only gear I use.
    I plug it into the PA-mixing console.
    That's the real deal to make Top 40
    and wedding-jobs. All sounds I need and
    a pedalboard on aboard
  15. shorts

shorts Member

Pod Pro with a Gibson E2 Explorer... :)

Yeah the rack version is lots more expensive but it stays patched into my PA full time. Call me lazy...

Another POD at home for recording...
  16. guitarswbars

guitarswbars New Member

Marshall w/ a SM57 is my favorite. A little compression and a bit of delay(for solos) I have owned several Processors but you cant beat the tone of a tube amp. The only thing that made putting Marsall aside way a Lee Jackson amp. AMAZING!!!!!
  17. Jayling

Jayling New Member

Hi,
    I use 2 set ups 1 for duo 1 for band.
    I use a line 6 spider with optional floorboard for the duo work. I feed the line 6 straight into the P.A you get a good sound especially when working with midifiles. (not noisy on stage and plenty of control over mix.)

When I play with a "live" band I use a fender hot rod deville
    4x10" speaker set up. for effects I use a Danelectro overdrive to boost mids in solos, a cry baby wah, an ibanez anlalouge delay and a digetech digital modulation pedalboard to give me chorus, phaser, tremelo and vibrato sounds.

The drummer likes to hear the guitar quite loud, and I prefer it as you get a different feel with volume "behind you" and you have the chance to use feedback. Great for live rock n blues!
  18. Dallas Aussi

Dallas Aussi New Member

Do yourself a favour & don't buy bigger than a 50W Marshall, Boogie or similar, unless you're playing stadiums or entertainment centres they're just too loud - valve amps have to be pushed to close to max to get the best sound
  19. alexrox

alexrox New Member

I've heard amazing things about the Marshall Quad-Box but haven't ever used one...
  20. alexrox

alexrox New Member

I use Line4 for the sound.