Live Midi application Question

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by imcivor, Dec 12, 2004.

1. imcivor

imcivor New Member

Hello to all.
    My band is starting to experiment with midi and we are trying to get the mix and routing of the sound correct.

We are currently using an MBox and laptop, running the outs on the MBox directly in to 2 open channels on my Berringer 32 channel board.
    The trick here is that the drummer wants to only hear the midi and maybe a slight bleed of overall band mix.
    Can anybodyhelp me out with the setup? I was thinking about using send and returns for this, but if somebody could really point me in the right direction, it would be fantastic...

Thank you all very much,

Ian

:confused2
  2. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Why is it that you're wanting to use MIDI?
  3. imcivor

imcivor New Member

'cause string sections are hard to reproduce live...lol...but seriously, there is so much it can add to a live show. Almost every pro live act these days are using it and most of the amateurs acts are beginning to as well. Just do not want to end up left in the dark.

Ian
  4. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Well... why not use a midi synth and use the audio outs from them and mix it into your board normally? That way you don't have to actually mix midi information.
  5. Bladez26

Bladez26 New Member

Ok I'm taking that your using the MBox audio outs into a channel in your desk, routing can be done a few ways, using the Aux sends for example, Aux 1 could be your Drum foldback send, that way you can adjust what is being sent and how loud it is. This of course will limit your Aux sends for effects.
    You could get a foldback desk and mix it from there but that would be more expense..
    Another way is if you have sub groups you can send the midi to your sub group and send that to his/her mix the send sub to main as well.
    There are other ways to route the signal path depending on your setup, i'e mono/stereo how many Aux you have, etc
  6. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

I don't really understand all of your details, but here's how I would do it if I were mixing live:

MIDI OUT on MIDI Device (i.e. keyboard) -> MIDI IN on synth module

1/4" L & R jacks on synth module -> line-in on channel 1 and 2 on mixer, set the pan on 1 to the left and to the right on channel 2.

I don't know if this helps any, but hopefully it does. ;)
  7. Bladez26

Bladez26 New Member

Hey Cyber
    what you have described is my "I'm taking that your using the MBox audio outs into a channel in your desk" That gets the signal into your desk. in this case the midi device is the MBox.
    Once it is in the desk you can send and process it differently.
    What is happening here is that the midi is one more "instrument" being mixed in the desk and he wants to send different instruments to different speakers.
    I hope that is a bit clearer, it's 6 in the morning here so not thinking all that well hehheheh,
    C'ya
  8. kuerbo

kuerbo New Member

I think sends and returns are not that bad...
  9. Bladez26

Bladez26 New Member

When you say sends are you talking about inserts or Aux sends, there is no need to return the signal. Also inserts will not give you control of how much is being sent to the foldback.
    i.e. this application requires full midi to be sent but just a little of the rest of the mix, with sends you get the whole lot, so you would have to sort out some form of mixing of the insert sends.