Live Midi Performance (Help!)

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by Grumpyoldman, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman New Member

Some advice would be appreciated from you young guys out there! My old and wrinkly mate & I (former 60's icons) have started gigging again using some of the new technology that really would have made us 60's icons if we had it back then. We both play guitar and make use of midi backing tracks played through a Korg IS50 keyboard. (neither of us can play the keyboard). So far so common I believe. We also make use of a Digitech Vocalist which takes a midi out signal on track 16, from the Korg and generates 2,3or4 part backing harmonies as we go along. We are I have to say quite good at what we do (which is old 60's covers for the most part) but we are totally dependent on the Floppy drive on the Korg to keep us in business. We would like to replace the Korg with a hard drive based piece of kit that will allow us to load an entire set at one go, generate the actual sounds as the Korg does, take up less room on stage, not look as naff as a keyboard that nobody touches, but the unit must also provide a midi out signal to the Digitech unit. Mini disc is no use coz it won't generate midi out, we have a Tascam 788 digital portastudio (it wont generate midi out). There is a unit on the market made by 'Miditemp' but it costs a fortune. To add to our problem, being two old farts we are more than a little befuddled by all the terminology. Sequencers, processors, samplers, etc. Can any live performers out there relate to this dilema and offer a solution.
    many thanks
    Iain
  2. Nyxan

Nyxan It wont hurt for long Staff Member Moderator

this may help guys i dont know. I use a yamaha QY700. It has two midi out ports, an inbuilt tone generator and can hold up to 20 midi files or 2meg whichever comes first.
    It small, lightweight, robust and costs around $2000 Au.
    Also has inbuilt sequencer.
    For more info chech out the yamaha music sight.
    http://www.yamaha-europe.com/yamaha...computer/10_sequenzer_drumcomputer/index.html

There is a smaller version--QY100 less features-sounds ect
  3. PDZ

PDZ New Member

MIDI File Player

I have been using a Genius MIDI File player. It records and plays MIDI files and has its own built in sounds. It comes with 8MB of FLASH RAM. This means that you can store over a hundred MIDI files. You can add another 24 MB of RAM to it, which will allow you to store about another 300 MIDI files.

The system also has MIDI routing capability which enables to set the harmonizer to any channell between 1-16. In addition you can have lyrics displayed if you have the correct file format.

You can check this system and other systems out at:
    http://www.viscount-organs.com/frameset_voice_systems_1.htm

Click the "Midifileplayers" section when you get to this page.

I too looked at MIDITEMP stuff. I would say the sounds are as good (if not better ie warmer than MIDITEMP souncard). At the moment Turnkey are doing a deal on this module.

:thumbsup:
  4. mididiot

mididiot New Member

Checkout a Kurzweil 2000R(rack) or K2500R, they will allow you to put in a large hard drive and perform your sequences and route midi instructions for your gig. You could get either of these units used and save some money for more toys.
  5. ozzysteve

ozzysteve New Member

we use a software/midi setup and 3 harmonizers in our gigs. It sound awesome
    If you wantt to know how, email me at sdp at argonaut.net.au