live midi program???

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by olly, Sep 7, 2005.

1. olly

olly Member

Can anyone recommend a good midi software program to run sets from a laptop on stage? I have been using the windows media player software but I dont think its very user friendly in a live situation. thanks..
  2. Graeme

Graeme New Member

I don't do this sort of thing very often, since I'm fortunate enough to play with a number of other musicians most of the time. However, I have done 'solo' gigs, using midi back tracks I created for the purpose.

After a lot of mucking about, I finally settled on dumping midi altogether. Instead, my preference has been to render the back tracks to audio and write the resultant files to a CD. This provides the most crash proof system of all - you don't even need a computer to play the things :) .
  3. olly

olly Member

thanks but....

I have been using a yamaha midi player for the past few years, the reason I went to laptop was so I could have the flexability of choosing a playlist from all my files (300) rather than just the 40 or so on individual disks, which I found restricting. Problem is i have over 300 files and to convert them all to audio would be a major job, which I dont have the time to do. I also liked the flexibilty of the midi player to increase tempo on stage if need be. I just need a software program that will do this sort of stuff.
  4. Graeme

Graeme New Member

I take the point re selecting from a big list - I don't have one of those ;) .

I'm particularly wary of computers in a live situation - especially here, as the power supply is very unreliable - I would need both a voltage conditioner and a UPS as part of the basic equipment. I need these in the house - never mind on the road!

I'm not very familiar with them, but maybe your solution is to be found in a software Karaoke player?
  5. harryhol

harryhol New Member

Hi Olly
    I use a laptop for playing midi backing for vocals and find van basco player works fine.
    I have however been looking for a midiplayer that can handle xg midi and noted that you had a yamaha player can you tell me if it plays xg midi.
    I use syxg softsynth on my lap top and would like to keep the same sound using a midi player
    any info.apprec.
    harryhol
  6. brc 103

brc 103 New Member

we use a laptop on stage, only for background music though, but recently i loaded a lot of midi files, songs we dont have on minidisc (for such and suchs great uncle or granny to sing at weddings LOL), anyway we just play them through roland virtual sound canvas, it does the job, and sounds better than wm, winamp etc.