live music with midi files

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by supertom, Jan 16, 2003.

1. supertom

supertom New Member

Hello
    I'm brandnew on the board - and would like to start with a question:
    I'm a guitar player (accoustic and bass) and have a live programm with a friend (e-guitar) with classic rock and pop songs;
    equipment is laptop with magix music studio and Roland JV1010;
    what could I do to give the midi files more live performance;
    the sound is excellent but dead

thank you to communicate experience

TOM
  2. midiprog2000

midiprog2000 New Member

Hi supertom,

If the sound of the JV1010 is not the problem, but there is no live feel in the midifiles, what can it be ?
    The quality of the midifiles maybe ?

Kind regards,
    Alain
    www.mididesign.be
  3. Stilcrazy

Stilcrazy Just a Regular Midi Guy

Or maybe you need to tinker with the PA to give the sound more kick
  4. nigeyd

nigeyd New Member

DO you have Music studio 7, and if so do you know if the deluxe version is worth getting??
    Thanx
  5. sheffers

sheffers New Member

Hey Supertom,

This is a great question, one we should always be asking ourselves as we create sequences.

One thing that is good to remember, ESPECIALLY when sequencing, is to exagerate dynamics. As with live playing, it keeps the song fresh and helps to draw attention.

Another trick i use is to be very selective as to what and how much (to what degree) i QUANTIZE: In some sequences, i might quantize the bass, but leave the hi-hat loose, or at least looser.
    If you're using slow strings for example, or any sound with a slower attack, experiment with moving that track up a few "clicks"; the result can feel more human.

Another key element that can be time-consuming to implement is variation. The Roland R8 series had a "Human-Feel" feature that allowed us to dynamically change the sound of a closed hi-hat. This approach made a big difference to me. Consider incorporating two different, but close, closed hi-hat sounds. Or Snares. Or Kick Drums. These little nuances may appear to go unnoticed, but hopefully, you'll see a few more bodies inexplicably drawn to the dance floor.

One last thing that may or may not help: If you have the "luxury" of a lead vocalist who has nothing in their paws, set them up with a basic percussion rig that might include one or two tiny splashes, a shaker, a guiro, agogos, etc., (careful with those claves and cowbells!)
  6. axemanv90

axemanv90 New Member

Humanize

Many sequencers have a "humanize" function that will take a "perfect" midi sequence and vary the note locations to give it a more human feel. Changes can be suttle to a complete "swing" effect. Also, check especially dead sequences to see if all the drums are all the same velocity. If they are, then you can edit them to vary the velocity per the beat and instrument.

Powertracks Pro Audio and Cakewalk have these functions.
  7. Dallas Aussi

Dallas Aussi New Member

Cheeky trick that I found works on more up-beat songs is to speed up the chorus slightly (8 bpm or so). Makes you feel like a real garage band where everybody knows the chorus so they play it flat out :)
  8. lovehermadly

lovehermadly New Member

Hey. there are sooooo many variables here. First of all, yes of course the midi file itself may lack but there are alot of things you can do with the PA set up and input/output setup as well!
    Many people still use a sequencer that sends the midi file only though one output! That can only suck!!! You need to seperate your kick drum, snare and remainding drums, bass, and keys. Also try putting your toms on with your kick. Now you have 4 seperate channels on your mixing board to have a more real feel for your front mix.
    Also, effects can make a world of difference. If you play around with the reverbson your snare you may find more life in the mix!
    Eqing ....a fantastic midi file can sound like crap and dead in a club over a PA if it isn't eq'd for getting the most punch out of it!!!
  9. Durden

Durden New Member

Right on lovehermadly!!

So many people are still using 1 output it is a shame.
    I see it all the time in clubs, people trying to get a balance between all the instruments in the sequence with only one channel to work with.

For me that is IMMPOSSIBLE!!!

Velocity and tempo things are all great but if you have the ability to send the keys to a different output than the kick, for example, then it will naturally sound better.

I haven't tried the toms with the kick, I have them with the snare and it sounds good, but I am going to try that.
  10. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

ok so explain to me how u seperate the drums. ie kick to one channel and snare to another?
  11. timcable

timcable New Member

supertom,

i am attempting to do the same set-up as you - well close, but not exactly. i have not decided on a sound module yet. yamaha or roland ??? some say yamaha is way ahead of everyone else in these things, but i notice roland sells a lots of used stuff at a high price on ebay. i don't think people would pay a high price for roland sound modules if they did not sound good. i'm all new to this kinda thing. i am yet to hear my 1st sound module. all i have heard midi files thru is my cheap computer sound card - and a lot of the sounds are terrible. i guess i will have to depend on advice from you guys, cause i do not live close a city with a music store, hence i can not cruise down to the local guitar center, etc and listen to different sound modules. thanks,
    tim