Making MIDI guitars sound better

Discussion in 'Sequencing Software' started by norris108, Oct 26, 2003.

1. norris108

norris108 Member

Anyone got any tips or tricks for making MIDI guitars sound better?

The never sound very realistic when I'm writing songs :(
  2. Zandro

Zandro New Member

I use SoundFont, but it requires an EMU10Kx engine (Sound Blaster Live!, Audigy, etc.), or the use of the freeware app SynthFont, which can be downloaded at http://www.synthfont.com/
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd New Member

When you play the midi's from a keyboard with a nice guitarsound the midi's from the guitars also sound better!
    (You must have a nice keyboard or synthesizer also then)
  4. frchung

frchung New Member

Emulating acoustic instruments like guitar, violin, etc.. with MIDI is always a very big challenge.

Yes, and after having a good sound source, which is based on sound recorded and sampled from an actual guitar, the way of playing back that guitar sound is another important thing.

A real guitar is played differently from playing a piano, the strings can be strummed, creating 6 sounds almost at the same time if you are emulating a 6 string guitar. The strumming can be up or down, which are all different in the order of the low notes to the higher notes. The strings can be plucked and also there's also sliding of the fingers on the strings at the fret, and vibrato for classical guitar playing, etc...

So you can try to imagine playing the real guitar (or someone playing the guitar for you), when you are writing the songs in MIDI.
  5. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

Very good advice, frchung! I'm currently sequencing an acoustic guitar song, and this advice is well-taken! :)

I'll repeat a bit here:
    Remember to let the strings ring on after a note sounds until a different note is sounded or the string is silenced. A more believable guitar ambiance is achieved without much difficulty in this manner. Also, remember that it is almost impossible to strike all notes simultaneously on a guitar, so when sequencing it is best to vary the start times of notes appropriately. If you are entering your data by playing on a keyboard, remember to go back after the fact and take all these things into account when editing.

Thanks, frchung! :thumbsup:
  6. PaoloT

PaoloT New Member

wow! thanks
  7. Sheringham10

Sheringham10 New Member

if you are using cakewalk.. download the YAMAHA SXG driver and use it as your midi device..
    when you select the guitars just select the appropriate banks to achieve different guitar sounds..
    To achieve strumming on cakewalk you just have to play with the notes really.. dont put the notes simultaniously, over each other for this is not a piano!
    Ex. A chord of C E G
    Firstly insert the note C, then at distance 15 (demi-semiquaver) insert E, then at distance 30 (semiquaver) from the C note, insert the G note, sorry am not good at explaining but this is the simplest way you can do it in cakewalk lol..

or just buy the YAMAHA PSR A3 Synthesizer :thumbsup:
  8. centaur

centaur New Member

you folks are smart!
  9. Bricummo

Bricummo New Member

Also, once they're programmed. you could use a VSTi like super quartet by edirol, or Hypersonic or Plugsound. Route the output to them and then you could put it through amplitube, which is like a PC version of a POD.
    Then add compression, reverb etc.
  10. bonj87

bonj87 New Member

Im gonna have to try that.
    I use a sound blaster Live card, for my general Midi, and the guitars never sound right.
    I use a D4 for my drums, and that thing rocks.
    Check out Drag and Drop Drummer as well, that program is nice for Midi Drums.. its REAL wav files of the Midi notes from a real drum kit.. its quite nice.
    Ive been trying to find out how to get my Midi guitars to sound real
  11. mapha

mapha New Member

All your comments are great ! :thumbsup:
  12. kuerbo

kuerbo New Member

The distorted guitars in Hypersonics Rulz! You should try that...
  13. Mr_Mo

Mr_Mo New Member

I will try that, but where can I find it?