Mic for recordin vocals? Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by Ralph'e', Jan 16, 2003.

1. Ralph'e'

Ralph'e' www.ralphe.tk

Affordable and QUALITY mic for recordin vocals?
    will i need a diff mic for recordin guitar too?
    suggestions?

-------------------
    DJ Ralph E
    www.mp3.com/RWEngle
  2. EMGHZ1120

EMGHZ1120 New Member

MY suggestion is to buy a behringer,audio technica,sennhieser brand. Honestly i should tell you to go to a music store and try out the mics there what ever you like you can buy. But all together just invest in an analog or digital workstation. This way you can record all simultaneously and its gives a professional result. Analog is using a standard lp it does the same thing but you need to go to a recording studio to get it mastered to a cd. If you need more help just let me know
  3. faabud

faabud New Member

Rode NTK if you can afford it,
    Neuman U87 (I guess that's not really affordable but that would be the dream mic).
    Studio Projects C1 (ok condensor, pretty cheap)
    Shure Sm58 (dynamic mic, more of a live mic then studio, but great for rock vocals).

For Guitar you could grab a Akg 451 pencil condensor, audio technica 4050 works decently,

depends on the style of music you are doing, and stuff. The best bang for your buck, all in one guitar/vocal mic probably will be the Studio Projects C1 (though I'm not too big of a fan of it). Or maybe Rode NT1 or something (but I think that mic is too harsh sounding).

But then again I'm a picky mofo.

I own a ntk, sm58, akg451, audio technica 4050, etc. I love the ntk the most. Obviously each are used for different things though. Ntk is the butter mic it's not too too expensive right now. It's fairly cheap. Actually for a mic it's dirt cheap. Like $700 cdn or something.
  4. Ralph'e'

Ralph'e' www.ralphe.tk

the style of music i make is diverse,..

I am currently goin for laidback lounge vocals like Portis Head or Massive Attack..

but the mic will have to be compatible also for Dance..
  5. Dj_PHIL.S

Dj_PHIL.S New Member

i got a technics 1 for £30 ;)
  6. Ralph'e'

Ralph'e' www.ralphe.tk

Dj_PHIL.S - does the job? well?
  7. Dj_PHIL.S

Dj_PHIL.S New Member

heh not really, sounds alright at first but when u play back it starts distortin, dunno if its somthin else to do with my computer tho
  8. indianraccoo

indianraccoo New Member

yea, try the new sanyo mic, it worked pretty good for me
  9. Ralph'e'

Ralph'e' www.ralphe.tk

cool - thanks 4 da feedbak guys :thumbsup:
  10. buddy69

buddy69 New Member

radio shack

I've bought mic's from radio shack many times... sometimes they give me a good sound... sometimes they get garage-y

now, notice how I say i keep buying them... either because the cable eventually frays, or I lose them... but depending on your budget and needs, they may do the trick... I think they also sell the basic shure 57 nowadays ( or is that 56???)
  11. kindler

kindler New Member

I purchased a Shure SM-58 Beta recently and I can tell a difference in the quality of my vocal. It's a hotter mic with a bit more of a high end for darker voices (like mine). I like the result.
  12. Djekkie

Djekkie New Member

Using a Condenser mic like a Behringer, a Rode or aKG, Neumann etc. would also be a good buy.
  13. plan-a-emcee

plan-a-emcee ThA-Fresh-iLLmAtik-MeMbEr

thanx 4 the advice
  14. hui4o

hui4o New Member

IT DEPENDS ON WHAT AMOUT OF MONEY YOU WANNA SPEND .BUT I WOULD GO FOR A RODE NT1 OR NT2
  15. seacruzinal

seacruzinal New Member

I love it when people ask what the best things to buy are. It is easy to come back with, ' IT DEPENDS..."etc etc etc. but it really does. A good digital recorder these days is loaded with emulators that you could take some cheesy headset mic and modify it to the point that it would sound like a $500 mic!
    A Neuman still stands out from the crowd if you have a studio!
    Around the house, AND on a gig, I am in love with my SM55 Series II.
  16. midifromza

midifromza New Member

Depends what you call affordable!!! If you win the lottery, buy a Neumann !!
    I still like the shure SM58 (wouldn't use any thing else for live vocals) - fairly affordable, and should be OK for home demo recording as well. It should work fairly well for guitar recording also.
    They are also fairly rugged - mine has hit the floor a few times due to drunken fools at the gig bumping it out of my hand - but it seems to live on!!
  17. mmwfunk

mmwfunk New Member

Shure Multipattern Condenser (forgot the name), AudioTechnica 4040,4050, or the Tube Mic AudioTechnica has (4060) sounds great. AKG 414 or 451 are great for vocals. Neumann TLM103 is a great all around mic too.
  18. cetech1971

cetech1971 New Member

To be honest Shure sm57 is great for miking cabinets of combo amps, and will produce o.k. vocals. I've built several mikes for my acoustic guitar, using electret mike elements ($2.99) bought @ radio shack. The problem with these is that they need their own power source with a buffer. You can find these circuits online if you search for electret microphone circuits. They are easy to build if you are into making your own gear. The result from my acoustic 12 string, into the buffer, then into a boss chorus pedal then into my behringer mixer into cool edit pro, is really crisp, full, and has a hint of compression. I like the sound, for a five dollar investment.
  19. nbaker45

nbaker45 New Member

I agree with seacruzinal - it depends. However, I have a studio, and would never buy a high-end mic that I haven't actually used. Not just the model, the actual microphone. That especially goes for U87's - I've heard good ones and really bad ones. Poor care and wacky humidity can do strange things to sensitive microphones.

I currently choose from three different mics for my vox tracks - Shure KSM44's; Shure BETA 58's, or Neumann KMS105's. I'm a live engineer at heart, so I don't have much taste for really high-end studio mics. Occasionally, I'll revert back to my Rode NT1's or AKG C1000's. I never do dynamic mics on vocals, only condensers and only 48v.

My advice is this - choose your preamp as well as you choose your mic. You can put the best mic on a crappy preamp and still end up with a crappy sound. An OK mic on a good preamp can be worked in Post to sound awesome! For less than $1,000, you should easily be able to acquire a very good VOX mic, as well as a great preamp for recording - and that's at retail pricing.

Just my $.02...
  20. mrboo

mrboo New Member

A SHURE CARDIOD MIC WOULD BE THE BEST APPLICATION FOR WHAT YOU USE BUT THE KEY TIP FOR RECORDING IS TO USE A GOOD MIC PREAMP. IF YA GO CHEAP, CHEAP IS WHAT YA'LL GET!!!