Midi and Polyphonic

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by V0oD0o, Mar 28, 2003.

1. quik2learn

quik2learn New Member

Samsung

I think Samsung S300 ringtones sound great! If anyone needs any ringtones - let me know!
  2. rg1550

rg1550 New Member

nokia uses limited poliphony.
  3. ali3n

ali3n New Member

Most phones uses a variant of MIDI called SP-MIDI. This stands for Scalably Polyphony MIDI. THe cheaper Nokia phones such as the 3350 can only play tunes that have a maximum polyhony of 4. This means that some midi tones will not play correctly. Depending on how the MIDI file is structured depends on how or if the tune will play on the low end phones. SP MIDI files also have a special header in the MIDI file that tells the phones which tracks to give priority to. This means that if, when writting a ringtone, you ensure that the main part of the song is given priority over the bass track you may still get to hear a tune on the low end phones. Phones like the GD87 and the Nokia 7650 etc have a polyphony level of 24 and therefore will play most ringtones perfectly well.
    You have to ensure that if you have one of the cheaper phones that you get SP MIDIs to make the tunes sound OK.
  4. DeanM

DeanM New Member

Even if there is a difference surely you can take what you have in the midi and doctor it to fit a polyphonic phone?
  5. MATT4836

MATT4836 New Member

there is a thing to convert them
  6. vag

vag New Member

Most phones support 16-voice music. A midi file may contain more voices.
  7. lukekelsall

lukekelsall New Member

The polyphonic tones are of less quality from what i have heard
  8. Coco78

Coco78 New Member

No sound to tel when i was call with this song
    Why?
  9. yiannosk2

yiannosk2 New Member

there are many types of polyphonic ring tones
  10. Gumman

Gumman New Member

I used a Sony Ericsson t300 , its cool, have a good midi sound
  11. skrowgnik

skrowgnik New Member

YUP THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. POLYPHONIC TONES ARE CALLED SP-MIDIS (SCALABLE POLYPHONY MIDI) EACH TRACK CONTAINS INFORMATION SO THAT THE PHONE'S SOFTWARE CAN RECOGNIZED IT. NOKIA 36 AND 76 CAN PLAY 24 TRACKS ALL AT THE SAME TIME SO REGULAR MIDI FILES HAVE NO PROBLEM. OTHER NOKIA MODELS CAN ONLY PLAY 4 TRACKS BUT AT SOME POINT IT CAN PLAY MORE. JUST TO BE SAFE THE FILE SIZE SHOULD BE 15KB OR LESS.
  12. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Please, do not shout on this board.
  13. dj1983

dj1983 New Member

Polyphonic is more releastic, it resembles midi files. Actually some pones even accept midi files I know sony ericsson t306 does !!!
  14. ElVela

ElVela New Member

40 poliphony tones (S300) <--- The best
  15. Sego

Sego New Member

t610 ericsson eats midi or ringtones files
  16. Antiec

Antiec New Member

Ok, I believe that no one cares anymore about this topic, but... the difference with polyphonic and MIDI isn't in the phones... Polyphonic means, that the phone can play many tones at the same time and there was, just for a short time, phones which played the old kind (awful sounding) ringtones, with only one instrument (beepbeep) but more than one tones at the time.
    The new thingie, MIDI-ringtones, are polyphonic, but the difference is that they can use different instruments, like guitar, drums or piano, and play them all at the same time.
    Most of the new phones have the MIDI-ringtones, usually they are just markes as polyphonic or something. And the difference comes between the MIDI-support, as Nokia can play 8 tones (with different instruments) at the same time, and some phones 32, like T310 does. So I think there was the real reply to the original question, how do polyphonic- and midi-ringtones differ, ofcourse, midi = polyphonic, with more than one instruments.
    One little thingie, i was going to buy Sony Ericssons T310, but i think i'll change my plans. Ericsson doesn't have a software, to upload MIDI-files from my comp to my phone, through any way, no ir, no cable. But Nokia has a software with you can make midis to fit to your phone. What do i do with 32-tones, if i have to use predone CRAPPY ringtones, which will cost, and will have at max. 12 tones... useless
  17. shaine

shaine New Member

hi. coudl ne1 tell me how to get them on my phone?
  18. supernova02

supernova02 New Member

yes I'm sure there is a program called Intelliscore Polyphonic that u can download that's free
  19. flipguy

flipguy New Member

Yes, I have used Intelliscore Polyphonic and it's free.
  20. deklan

deklan New Member

try a google search for psmplayer