Midi and sound

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by Icarus11, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Icarus11

Icarus11 New Member

Let me start off by saying I was born a drummer, this will explain my complete nebulas to midi and digital recording.

Now.. I have a Motif ES connected to my computer via a USB cable (this acts as a large one way to the comp) and I'm running Cubase SX. Now, I can record midi data, however the sound is that of horrible general midi, not the sounds of the Motif. I didn't expect it to, but I'm wondering how to get the sounds of the Motif while using a midi setup. Would I have to load the Motif voices and arpeggios onto my hard drive?!? :crazy:

Yeah, I'm dumb... help please.
  2. midiprog2000

midiprog2000 New Member

Hi Icarus11,

You need to think differently: you cannot load the Motif sounds onto your computer to use them, but you send a midi signal via USB to your Motif to have the Motif playing the midi data. Hence you need to connect your Motif to your audio system to hear the midi data.

Kind regards,
    Alain Besseleer
    www.mididesign.be
  3. Icarus11

Icarus11 New Member

I know. I have the Motif and my comp connected and I can record midi data. The question is can I record the Motif's voices onto my comp via midi? The outputed audio on playback is simply that of a general midi... horrible horrible voices. I know how to record audio, that's simple, however I'm trying to figure this out through midi, as I no longer have a mixer or any other alterior devices to run an audio signal through without killing the quality.
  4. midiprog2000

midiprog2000 New Member

Hi Icarus11,

Connect the Left-Right audio output from the Motif with the aux input from your soundcard. Select Audio settings in windows control panel, select analog mix or aux input as recording input. Play your midifile, send the midisignal to your Motif, and record the motif playing your file. Although your GM file will still be GM, this will sound totally different than your soundcard. Optionally, you might want to select some other sounds on your Motif to make your audio recording even better.

kind regards,
    Alain
    www.mididesign.be