Midi bands

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by castledrumme, Mar 4, 2004.

1. castledrumme

castledrumme New Member

Are there any Midi bands out there that are working in Night clubs
    I am up here in Alaska playing steady in a Midi band so I don't get
    to see much of what goes on in the "real world"
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2004
  2. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

It's more common now because of several reasons.

1. The midi's and sound cards out there are a hundred times better than ever before. It's outstanding the quality of tones produced now.

2. The money is better in duo's as opposed to full non computerized bands.

3. Logistics of putting together larger bands that can go and tour.

4. The quality of small sound systems are much better (and much lighter).

Let's put it this way. The difference between a drummer and a drum sequence is that you only have to punch it into the drum sequence once.
    :p
  3. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

I play in a duo - two guitars/singers, the midi does drums bass and any extras

what kinda stuff do u play castle? do u sequence?
  4. castledrumme

castledrumme New Member

Wow I have so much to say but I will start out slow! I started midi in 1992 because I had too, there were no bass players in North Pole! It took me years to perfect it. The problem was is that I am a singing drummer so the midi world was exactly what I needed. All the guitar players and such that had fired all there drummers I could now get even with. This is why I called my first midi band (Drummer and lead Guitar man) Even Steven but then the television program came out so I call the band David Stevens
    now. We play all kinds of stuff. I do some sequencing but I mostly fix songs that I download. Some of the arrangements are really wierd so we fix them to fit our style. We are both very old (50 and 53) but we have a blast! this week we are doing "First cut is the deepest" Stacy Mom" "smoking in the boys room" "love will keep us alive" and "Hit that" I had to drop hit that cause it is a little too high for me. I can do it in the original key but only if I am totally in shape vocally and as we all know some times the clubs make you tired! I dropped two whole notches which I don't like doing but I want to do the song early in the night. am I boring everybody yet.
    aprilla likes this.
  5. -=BLADE=-

-=BLADE=- Omnipotent Metal God

Cool

i have my own midi band (or i guess you should call me a solo midi artist!) I have written some of my own stuff including the legendary BADGER ANTHEM which is gonna make it to the top!
  6. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

:Removing foot from mouth:

Sorry about the comment, but you must know what I mean. My partner is 52 and sings, plays guitar and flute. I sing play guitar and saxophone. It works great. I am hoping you get great money up there playing in no man's land (or is it really as bad as I think it is?). It's hard to find a drummer with good meter to play along with sequences, so hat's off to you. I think I've really only had 3 drummers who could work with a click track. The rest were always all over the place. It's great that you're a vocalist as well. If you ever need work in BC, just give me a call. Be happy to have ya on board.
  7. castledrumme

castledrumme New Member

No It's not bad It's a good place to raise a family. The gangs
    can't hang out at -50 below Ha!! the money is okay We have been playing in the same club for seven years.
    People usually start out at about a hundred a night up here and
    then you work your way slowly from there. I like a steady job so
    I give the club a good deal. Other duos can make around 400 to
    600 a night but not so steady!
    to
  8. floydlax16

floydlax16 New Member

I kno some friends that also use midi for some instruments in their band. Sounds pretty bad if ya ask me..lol
  9. castledrumme

castledrumme New Member

Yeah it can sound pretty bad if you use the wrong sound
    modules. I use the Roland xv5050 and it sounds awesome!
  10. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

You can even get bad sound modules sounding better, if you just tweak the tones using controllers or system exclusive messages. I use a Yamaha MU90R and it sounds okay. Could be better but it could be a helluva lot worse.
  11. Bladez26

Bladez26 New Member

I'm a midi solo act, was a duo (guitars/vocals) but that drifted away at the begining of this year. Coming from a band background I hated midi and the midi bands that I use to see years ago. When I got into it I wanted what I did to be different. As far as getting a good sound I use the following.
    All midis processed through Sonar with Hypercanvas and out thru a Soundblaster Extigy or Audigy Platinum onto minidisk. The PA I have a JVC CD/Minidisc machine thru a Behringer mixer (soon to be upgraded to a Souncraft), Behringer 32 Band EQ, Behringer UltraFex (this really enhances the sound),Behringer Crossover, Australian Monitor Amps, Yamaha SV115 top boxes and Behringer 18' Subs. Through this rig I have had people comment that it sounds like a full band, you just can't see them.
  12. shaft99

shaft99 New Member

I play with another guy in Newfoundland Canada. It's about as remote as Alaska. You can make a lot more money with a midi band. I use a korg pa80 and have a peavey pa system. We play every weekend.
  13. castledrumme

castledrumme New Member

What Kind of music do you play? And what instruments do you
    guys play in Newfoundland!
  14. Kanix

Kanix New Member

Re: Cool

Wait, you did the Badger song? The flash thingie with the badgers and the mushroom and the snake?

Either way, I'm in a "band", if you want to call it, more accurately it's a musical project. We call ourselves Sad But True, after the Metallica song, and we are a Metallica tribute group. I do drum programming for the cover songs, but the guitars/bass are "real" instruments. We're online @ Sad But True-Band.com.

We've gotten some flak because we don't use a real drummer, but what the hell, we sound 100x times better than "non-professional" bands that use real drummers.
  15. bobbybanjo

bobbybanjo New Member

im doing a gig next week using a lot of computer backing stuff but with live musicians a plenty - all the drums are sequenced but i use a lot of sampled drum loops mixed with MIDI drums which makes it all sound a lot thicker.
  16. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

Went to Kanix site. Check it out. What did you use for the midi drums? Wasn't too bad at all. (Think maybe you could put a touch more reverb on the drums, and your vocals could come out louder) Very impressive. I'd hire you for gigs.

Great job guys. Keep up the good work.
  17. Kanix

Kanix New Member

:D

Thanks for the feedback. I use Cakewalk Sonar 2 to put the drums together, but our rhythm guitarist/vocalist is responsible for how they come out sounding. I forget what soundfonts he uses, but I'll check with him and let you know.
  18. Kanix

Kanix New Member

Hey, since we're on the topic, my band, Sad But True has posted our cover of Metallica's "Master of Puppets" on our website . Head over to the download page to check it out, as well as our other covers.

By the way, anyone know which forum to post a topic plugging this in?
  19. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Web sites :D
  20. Kanix

Kanix New Member

Much thanks.