Midi Compatibility

Discussion in 'Getting Started/New Member Help' started by lukeb_r34, Sep 29, 2003.

1. lukeb_r34

lukeb_r34 New Member

Just wondering if all midi files can be played through polyphonic capable phones. Are there limitations with high end nokias and motorolas?
  2. matt95gsr

matt95gsr New Member

I don't think that all polyphonic ringotones are compatible with all phones. I've tried to upload a couple of midis to my nextel i90c that didn't work...software tells me that the phone won't accept them or something like that, but then I've uploaded a bunch that did. Also, from what I hear, some phones can support polyphonic tones with voice tracks in them, but that Nextels cannot. Just my .02
  3. MasterD

MasterD New Member

there are limitations in the nuber of voices! some mobiles only play 16voicemidis newer phones play up to 40 voices. read in your mobile's manual !
  4. AlwayZ

AlwayZ New Member

I uploaded a MIDI file via USB onto my SonyEricsson P800 (great phone by the way ;-) I could select and use it as a ringtone as well as play it with its Audio-Player!

But wehn I send that MIDI file via MMS to a Nokia (not sure which one) there was no way to open it.
  5. kedyah

kedyah New Member

I think not all midis can be compatible to all types of CP 'cause some brands have their own types or specs.
  6. neptunegt

neptunegt New Member

depends, sometimes its not even midi files
  7. chronos

chronos New Member

Don't think so

I don't think all phone support midis. I use Sony Ericsson's T610 and I'm able to play all kinds of midi but when I tried to IR it to a Nokia polyphonic phone, it rejects it.
  8. kreeklane

kreeklane Guest

if your phone sounds like gay computer notes, than it cannot play midi files.
  9. oliven

oliven Guest

Hi, everybody:
    there are diferent type of ring tones: Midi, SMAFs (samsung, sharp,and many other american phones)
    the Nokias, Siemens,etc.. play midi files but need a special information at the very beguining of midi file. it calls SP- (scalable polyphonic) (sorry my english), when a Nokia phone reads that System exclusive message in the begining, it says to the phone wich notes are prioritie?? wich notes it must play before it reachs the total possible notes. why is all this: because there are few Nokia phones playing more than 4 notes at some times. yes only 4 notes!!!(Nokia 3510i,5100,5210,6100,6610,6800,7210,7250,) this will play 24 notes: 3300,3650,6650,7650,etc) so if you have a 24 notes poliphonic phone it doesn't matter, but if you have a 4 notes... it´ll be better to convert the normal midi file to a Scalable polyphonic one. I hope it helps, and sorry my english.
  10. oliven

oliven New Member

what´s your phone? perhaps I can help you more.
  11. bubblebz

bubblebz New Member

are there any midi restrictions per phone?
  12. xjoe

xjoe New Member