midi computer set up

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by fifis4, Aug 30, 2005.

1. fifis4

fifis4 New Member

ive been down loading midi files now for years.tweeking them useing logic platinum 5.2, then recording to mini disc for my duo the sound has been okay. my computer is running win98se and i have on board soundblaster live 5.1 sound card. i have an alesis qs7 synth that i use for the drums and bass when i record to mini disc.
    my question is this. i have had a new computer built just for my midi music with XP (cause the kids keep useing the other one and the virus's and the net were causeing me to much greef) i need advise as to which sound card to buy. i hope to use some of the sounds that will be on the card cause the back ground fill is okay but i will need to plug the synth via midi cables to asign the drums and bass tracks. there are so many sound cards out there that its a bit dificult knowing which is best, does any one have advise on sound cards, cableing or what would be a good set up for doing what i do remembering i only rape the net for songs, alter them and record them to mini disc but good "real" sound would be prefered. any advise would be great best regards chris
  2. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Although I'm no great fan of Creative's products, for your particular use, I'd go for one of the Soundblaster series, since that will give access to a huge array of soundfonts - for many of which you can also rape the 'net :) .
  3. fifis4

fifis4 New Member

hi graeme. i ve been dickin around with sound blaster 5.1 live for 3 years now. sound is okay but i do have to heavily compisate with my live guitar on stage and you miss all those effects and sounds that dictates how the song will eventually sound and its come to a stage where i dont wont to be just another sequenced duo is there any suggestions to geting that excellent sound where people say "F***k that duo sounded great" ive got the Eon G2's 400w and a Dynachord active sub 800w, an Alesis 3630 compressor a dual 31 band graphic and a Dod digital effects the components are all there output power isnt a problem. i suppose that you could say that i'm experianced in the sequenceing but i'm still anovice. if you have any advice on a computer based set up for my recording's (hardware) i would apreciate the education. i did buy a sound card for the new computer, "from ebay" sound blaster audigy 2zs but it has a firewire connection and now i have the added problem "how do i get it to midi connectors for the alesis Qs7. im haveing a bit of trouble fiding out how to find a product to do this. cause i bought it from ebay sound blaster have very nicely said F**** off. thanks for you reply regards chris