midi copyright

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by ensoniq, Jun 7, 2003.

1. ensoniq

ensoniq New Member

what do people think about copyright on midis that you can find free on the net ?
  2. lourfingue

lourfingue New Member

I think it's great coz yu've got the score lol.I AM for free music.And it is not as bad (from major record company's executives' point of view)as finding free mp3(but i'm for that too BTW)
  3. titanicm14

titanicm14 New Member

Well have you noticed that ringtones used to be free but then they costed now they cost a lot because the music industry is all about money if people werent downloading music they wouldnt have started to really care, but they say hey its our stuff and they want that extra money they are losing so they crack down on karoake bars yes kareoke bars because they have to pay royalties on that music that they play and so do places that have jukeboxes but they arent really caring about midi they arent killing record sales.. they are just likenesses to artists work they are kinda recreations of copyrighters work but one could argue that you dont have to pay royalties to a producer for a parody using a songs beat but hey no one is publishing midi for money so its no big deal no one will probably ever go to jail for this stuff or get sued because there is too much other stuff going on like downloading and royalties to writers and producers and jukebox and public performances and so on who cares about these little baby midi's
  4. ivorys88a440

ivorys88a440 New Member

Speaking of copywrite, any thoughts on why I can delete a track on a downloaded midi file using a program called MidiNote and save it as a new midi but can't delete it on my Roland KR177? The Roland says it is copywrite protected.

ivorys88a440
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2004