MIDI Divice

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by Scorpion, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Scorpion

Scorpion New Member

Hi guys, I have a keyboard and I want to connect it to my computer so I bought a midi cable and connect my keyboar to my computer bus my computer doesn't reconize the midi device (Game port). What should I do??

Please contact me at gladiatormaximus@chello.nl

Greetings ;) ;) ;) :boink: :boink:
  2. kuerbo

kuerbo New Member

What software are you using? You should load yor sequencer first and then, in the Midi In setup, select MPU401 (game port).

After that, you should assign sounds to hear anything.
  3. wastedspace

wastedspace New Member

I'm going to assume you have Windows XP or ME...if you don't, let me know, and I'll try and remember how to do this on your particular OS.

First, you gotta make sure you have the drivers installed for the game port. (you can find it in the Control panel / Sounds and Audio). Go to the "Audio" tab, and look at the pull-down for "MIDI Playback". If you see something like MPU401 out, or some kind of MIDI OUT, you should select that. That sets your default device to be your keyboard.

Second, you need to check the MIDI device you're using, and make sure that it's set to recieve General MIDI signals on all channels. Most boards do this automatically. If you're missing tracks in your songs that should be playing, or getting funky sounds, you need to check your manual to see how to set the correct mode.

Last, do as my buddy above said....check your program. Many programs will use your default device without you having to change anything....the fancier the program, the weirder these settings can become. (I use Sibelius 3 with about 4 sound modules.....THAT can get messy).

I hope this helps!! Post again or PM me if you need more help, OK?