midi driver

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by birds_r_2_cool, Jul 30, 2002.

1. birds_r_2_cool

birds_r_2_cool New Member

Hi, today I got a MIDI cable to attach my keyboard to my computer but my problem is that there is no MIDI driver on the computer for the keyboard. This computer is brand new with windows XP and I thought it had a Roland MIDI driver on it but I guess not. Where could I download or get a midi driver for the computer.

ThAnKs
  2. tavenger5

tavenger5 Mr Admin Guy Staff Member Admin

You shouldn't need one. Your sound card should privide the driver to the joystick port (assuming there isn't seperate ports) Go to the website for the people that make your sound card and see what they have.
  3. birds_r_2_cool

birds_r_2_cool New Member

The problem is that it is integrated into the system and I do not know what brand it is
  4. MuddFlat

MuddFlat New Member

To find out what card...

To find out what card you are using go to Start >> Settings >> Control Panel >> Sound and Audio Devices. Once you are in there you should see the name of your card (under the volume tab). It will show a speaker and right next to it the name of your card.
  5. Gandalf

Gandalf MIDI Sorcerer

Hi,

I have no experience of Windows XP, but I am told that it is based on Windows 2000 (which has the same problem as you describe).

An MPU-401 driver is included with Windows 2000, but it is hidden. To unhide it, follow the following instructions:-

a) Use Windows Explorer (Tools, Folder Options, View) to Show
    Hidden Files and Folders and also to unHide Protected Operating
    System Files (Remember to reset these settings later).
    b) Use Windows Explorer to explore the "Inf" sub-directory of your Windows system directory.
    c) In "Inf", you should find a file named "WDMAUDIO.INF".
    d) Edit the file and add ";;" before two of the lines so that they read:-
    ;;[ControlFlags]
    ;;ExcludeFromSelect = *
    e) Using Control Panel, Add new Hardware and manually add new sound, video and game controller and select Microsofts MPU-401 compatible Midi device.

This type of installation should really be done by experts, so if your PC is new, you may be better advised to take it back to the
    shop and ask the supplier to help you.

Good luck.

P.S. I used the above to get access to the MIDI driver on my
    Windows 2000 system. It worked but the driver proved not to be as good as that provided by Windows 98.
  6. GusTraX

GusTraX New Member

I'm not sure what do you need.
    Are you planning to use a MIDI synth to play your files in the MEDIA PLAYER or anything similar?

You should download a SEQUENCER program better so you can have REAL Control on your sequences.

Try a DEMO version of SONAR or CakeWalk Home Studio.