MIDI Files are messy when a performance isn't played EXACT. (Finale 2002)

Discussion in 'Sequencing Software' started by B@D K@RM@, Nov 27, 2003.

1. B@D K@RM@

B@D K@RM@ Lost Newbie

Any suggestions to fix this problem in Finale 2002? I tend to get triplets, TONS of grace notes, 128th rests, etc. I'd really like something that changes the timing slightly so that it would be readable in a book or as a printout. Perhaps suggestions for different software that has tutorials with visual aid rather than reading-only? I'm someone who learns best with someone standing over me showing what to do or visually. Sad to say, unless it's a program I'm relatively familiar with, I'll need to be led by the hand. And MIDI in general isn't my strong point but I can play piano and I really want to try my hand at composing with different instruments, only midi's are too messy for me to time everything out properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-BK
  2. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Look for a quantize function. I know Cakewalk has one.

quantize: restrict the number of possible values of (a quantity) or states of (a physical entity or system) so that certain variables can assume only certain discrete magnitudes that are integral multiples of a common factor
  3. bnjiman80

bnjiman80 Tangled Up In Blue

Hmm, most people ask about sequencing, not transcribing midis...I don't know how powerful it is as a tool for producing sheet music, but I know that Powertrax has the ability to view notes on a music score that you have recorded. There are online tutorials that can be viewed before you buy. Also it is easy to edit midi files too - I can vouch for its seqencing prowess and general ease-of-use. The software certainly can quantize notes once they have been recorded. Perhaps you could record in PT, view the notes on the score, quantize them, and tinker around until your score looks right, then save to midi and load in Finale to add you page layout and so on...anyway, take a look at the website. The software is $49.

http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm
  4. Zandro

Zandro New Member

What on Earth does that have to do with the topic? Post deleted.