MIDI from OpenOffice Impress?

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by cadcoke5, Feb 23, 2011.

1. cadcoke5

cadcoke5 New Member

I am attempting to create a show that uses some theatrical lights as well as video projection. My original thinking was to create a PowerPoint show and embed the video in the slides. A hand-held remote control will be used to change slides. Then, to run the lights embed a MIDI file in a slide that will trigger a separate lighting control program using Midi Show Control.

The problem I ran into was that I PowerPoint will only send its MIDI data to the Windows Media player. I have installed OpenOffice with the hopes that its Impress (their equivalent to PowerPoint) will have more options. But, no joy there either.

But, my problems getting MIDI out of a PowerPoint presentation may only be my inexperience with MIDI on Windows. I have tried MIDI-OX to view MIDI being played on a separate music MIDI editor, but again saw no output.

Before I put more frustrating hours into this, can anyone verify for me if OpenOffice's Impress program makes MIDI available to other programs? I.e. can it be sent to a hardware synth?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Joe Dunfee