MIDI Gurus - Patch resets upon replay in Sonar4?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by digipenguin, Mar 22, 2005.

1. digipenguin

digipenguin New Member

I bought a midi file from Hittrax. I used Sonar4 to open the file. I am using the TTS1 to playback the file. Everything works fine unless I want to change the instrument of a certain track. I can select a different patch during playback and it will switch, however, after I stop and restart the song, the patch switches back to the original instrument. I cannot find anything in the SYSX view nor the event view that would explain why this happens?

Thanks in advance.
  2. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

Chances are that one or more patch change events still exist in the track - you'll have to edit or delete those to fix the problem.
  3. digipenguin

digipenguin New Member

Sonar has two ways of viewing midi data. One is th Sysx view and the other is the event view. There is only one patch change showing up and that is a patch change I would like to keep. But my question here is:

If it was a patch change command, wouldn't it only happen at the point where the patch change command is programmed to happen?

My patch will change back regardless of where I start or stop the song. As soon as I hit play, all patch changes and edits I have performed in my synth revert to the values that were present in the file initially.
  4. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

Interesting.

I would say, yes, that the change should only happen at the time of the patch change event. But let's hold off on that for a moment.

Have you tried re-saving (save as...) your file after you change the patch for that track? Perhaps the modified file will work as you want it to.

I'm a bit mystified by your description of the symptoms. Unfortunately, I don't have Sonar to attempt to duplicate your actions. It's possible that there is a configuration setting of some sort that causes this behavior.

Try making a step by step list of everything you do from opening the file until the problem occurs. Maybe we'll see something that gives us a clue.

:)
  5. gebby

gebby Member

digipenguin,

I don't have Sonar, but here's a possibility.
    Try Options/Project/MidiOut and check or uncheck
    Patch/Controller searchback before play starts.
  6. gebby

gebby Member

After thinking for a minute,
    there could be a seperate track that has only set up data in it for all the tracks, look fo a track with data in the 1st measure or two. Or, select all tracks and veiw event data for all tracks in a single event data window, that should reveal all patch changes in the sequence. You will have to parse through it.
    If it's a small file just look through it, if it's huge you can try
    Edit/Select/by Filter