Midi player upgrade? What to buy?

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by olly, Sep 13, 2004.

1. olly

olly Member

I know this is similar to other questions here, but I want to upgrade to a more powerful midi player for my duo (2 guitars, 2 vocals)? I have been using the Yamaha MDF3 for about 3 years now and it has been pretty good, but I can only have about 40 songs on each disk. We now how over 200 songs to choose from and I find it quite restricting when programming sets. If there is something out there with say, a hard drive in it that would store ALL our files and that has a better lit display, I would be a happy little camper?
  2. midiprog2000

midiprog2000 New Member

Hi Olly,

You could use a laptop to play your midifiles. If your budget is somehow restricted, it's an option to buy a second hand laptop computer, as midi does not require you to have a state of the art, brandnew device.

Kind regards,
    Alain
  3. besty

besty New Member

Definitely use an old laptop. Use your home PC to get the files how you like them then dump them on to the laptop and trigger a good module from the laptop. (Lots of different combinations there) I don't even have windows on my gig laptop. It's an old dx2-66 with DOS and a really old program called cakelive from 1983 that never misses a beat.

Besty
  4. olly

olly Member

Thanks...

thanks for the suggestions guys! I have actually been tempted to go to a laptop but dont like the way computers can take on a mind of there own and decided not to do what they are supposed to? Especially in the messy pubs that I play in, I worry that it will get knocked about too much. I will look into it more though... thanks
  5. alfinsa

alfinsa New Member

I am not a pro, but have been at it for a while and do play out live. For keyboard drums and bass, you may want to check out Yamaha qy-100 or kawaii dw-10 (or maybe dr-10) and try playing it through a BBE sound enhancer. It may do the job.

awg
  6. bulbusmaroon

bulbusmaroon New Member

I may very well use the crappiest MIDI maker in history. Well, maybe not the WORST one, but it's NoteWorthy Composer. I've been using it for over 5 years, and it's really hard to use anything else, as I can do so much stuff on it so quick now.