Midi Software ?????

Discussion in 'Sequencing Software' started by chsbandman, Apr 23, 2002.

1. chsbandman

chsbandman New Member

What programs do some of you people use to create some of these great midi files? I use cakewalk and Finale 2002 but are there easier ones?
  2. saherndz

saherndz New Member

Easy softare to use

I have used digital performer, Cubase, Protools, DP3, Cakewalk,Sonar, Reason, Singer Songwritter, and some other ones I can't even remember right now but the one I found easyest to use is........
    SONAR by cakewalk.

What ever you use it takes time to get used to the interface.
    Bottom line they all get the Job done.
    The advantage with Sonar is that they have CAL Scripts that make things a little easier if your not the musician you wish you were.
  3. -Mm-

-Mm- New Member

I say just stick to one, because after a while they become so simple to use. I use cakewalk, and because i've been using it for so long, i have no problems :p
  4. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

good advice -Mm-, i haven't used anything other than cubase, for about 7 years. once you find one that looks suitable for your needs, learn all the ins and outs of the program, they all have their differences, but in the end they all do the same thing:)
  5. midiaxe

midiaxe New Member

I agree with Merlin. Find something that suits your needs and stick with it. I've been using cakewalk for 5 years now and I like it.

-MX
  6. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

I'm using logic audio platinum.

It is awesome for sequencing bass.

Ifyou want a bassline to sound real you need to use pitchbends(makes it sound like the bass is sliding)

logic audio platinum has a thing called the hyperdraw, it allows you to put in pitchbends on a graph

this mean you can do bass slides(to perfection) in a matter of seconds where it used to take me ages to write in each individual pitch bend.

I highly recommend it
  7. -Mm-

-Mm- New Member

...Of coarse you can do pitch bends in Cakewalk aswell :D
  8. bolero

bolero New Member

Where I can download those programs ? Are any of them free ?
  9. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

V.O.G., sounds like you're really getting the hang of that proggy. Bolero, most of these programs are available in demo mode on the net. The save function isn't activated, but some unscrupulous people might get the crack codes as well. know anyone that can help??
  10. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

try Kazaa for d/loading the full versions for free
  11. c.j.grant

c.j.grant New Member

Right Tool for right job

I use a few different music programs, each program I think serves a slightly different use.

Sibelius - This is good for notation but not much else. I find that it doesn't pick up the midi input as well as other programms. I tend to sequence the music in another software package and use Sibelius to print it out.

Cubase - This is great for sequencing, midi input is picked up very accurately and playback is really good quality and timing is spot on.

Cakewalk - Cakewalk is a good all-round piece of software. The new pro studio version 9 has good sequencing capabilities, The Notation editor is reasonable but hard to get the hang of, The audio capabilities are better than most software.

These three I think are the best ones, although they cost, Sibelius being the most expensive.

Hope this is useful
  12. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

that's well thought out, C.J., you've done your homework. I never went through the process of trying them all, just started with cubase and stayed with it, but you've given anyone viewing this thread something to think about :thumbsup:
  13. voyetra

voyetra New Member

I totally agree, you have to work the products for a while before you'r comfortable with it. I have been using an old dos program from Voyetra called Sequencer Plus Gold. I still use it, I Like it because it has a lot of features and all features are accessable using simple key strkes, which works well when you are in a creative mode. i then transfer this over to another computer and import the file either in Cubase, logic Audio, Nuendo and continue working on it from there.

So the bottom line is you have to be comfortable to reproduce what you really feel musically.
  14. jachinls

jachinls New Member

Can anyone recomend a good free MIDI player for WinXP that has a wave table that actually sounds any good?
  15. spoofer

spoofer New Member

convert midi software

is there any easy to use midi software
    to create midi i mean cheers
  16. jbcoops

jbcoops New Member

Here's where I'm coming from (for what it's worth):

I run a hybrid computer lab (Macs and PCs) running Windows 2K and XP, OS 9.2 and X. I support pre-service teachers in a College of Education and am looking for the following software:

Midi to MP3 converter (and back). I believe the primary use for this software would be to compress sound files for Internet use.
    Midi recorders etc.
    Special effects recorders, etc.
    Anything else you audiophiles recommend.

The downside: virtually no money. Unless you know of a software company that is willing to virtually give away it's product, I am searching for either free or almost freeware. The reason is obvious: there is virtually no money in K-12 schools to pay for this. Anything I recommend to student teachers now has to carry over into the future. Anything that costs will probably never be purchased. Sad but true.

From what I've read on the board there are a lot of possibilities for software, but I have no idea what the $$$ are.

Thanks for your help.
  17. xScorpionx

xScorpionx New Member

I think that Cakewalk is simple. Only VST instruments are missing.