MIDI Thru?

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by SB24Svn, Mar 10, 2005.

1. SB24Svn

SB24Svn New Member

Hey all,

I was just about to buy a midi in/out to USB cable, and noticed my electric piano had aswell as a midi in/out, a 'MIDI Thru' port right next to the in/out.

What is this, and do I need to put a certain cable in there, or will I be able to just use the midi in/out to connect to my computer? I'm hoping I can just ignore it and go on as normal, but now I'm thinking that I may need something different?

Any help appreciated.
  2. Ralph'e'

Ralph'e' www.ralphe.tk

"MIDI Thru" lets you connect multiple devices using multiple normal MIDI in/out cables. This is called "daisy chaining".

Example
    say u r connecting 3 piano keyboards together then plugging the last keyboard into ur computer.
    You may want to do this to get the keyboard sounds of all 3 keyboards, layering them.

K1 MIDI out (into) K2 MIDI in and K2 MIDI Thru (into) K2 MIDI in and K3 MIDI OUT (into) computer

basically THRU acts as an OUT when "daisy chaining"

the first device in the daisy chain (in this case K1), will become the "master" controlling device whilst the others become the "slave(s)".

you can keep connecting MIDI devices together to however many, but note, the more u connect, the more "latency" you get. "Latency" meaning signal delay.

umm, does that make sense?
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  3. SB24Svn

SB24Svn New Member

Thats excellent, Thank you!
  4. Ralph'e'

Ralph'e' www.ralphe.tk

no problem ^_^