Midi to PC help

Discussion in 'Getting Started/New Member Help' started by waynedartist, Apr 5, 2008.

1. waynedartist

waynedartist New Member

For years I have programmed drums and bass lines on a Roland R-5 drummer.
    Song info was then downloaded to a floppy disc via an Alesis Data Disc. I would average about 35 songs per disc. To play one of those songs I would reverse the process.***NOTE*** The data disc did not play the drummer, I uploaded the drummer with the full sequence of the song info and would start and stop the drummer with a footswitch.

I now wish to eliminate the Alesis Data Disc, and use a laptop. How do I take midi information from my 3.5 discs and put them onto my laptop for storage, and then pick which song I want.........download info to R-5 and then manually start the R-5.

I do not want to re-programm 600+ songs in live mode...I'm old now.

Any body know how???
  2. Kwame

Kwame New Member

Well, well...

There are a myriad of ways to do it, but not like you probably would like to, i.e. just dragging files off of disks to a hard drive.

The Alesis-formatted floppies are in a special format that is independent of any OS, therefore you (and you can try it yourself) can put the floppies into a disk drive and the computer won't even acknowledge that ANY info is on the disk, much less something you can manipulate.

So the next easiest thing is to browse the web to see if any programmer has written a utility to convert Alesis native file formats to something PCs can understand. There are some out there, but you may have to find a Windows98 PC to run the program.

Barring that, your next step is to load the files to the instruments and "play" the files into a DAW or sequencing program. You will need to research some things, like setting the tempos of the songs to match the song being played before you record it, how to sync (stop/start) the recording based off when you hit your hardware's sequencer button, etc. This is the way that I did it.