midi to wave converter

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by The Keeper, Oct 9, 2002.

1. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

anyone know of a good quality midi to wave converter, free if possible, i can't loop my patch box with the new program i'm using
  2. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

First, I'm not sure what
    means.... can you explain??

Second, ARE there ways to convert OTHER than just playing MIDI and using a sound recorder within the system? All this time I've been playing via one program and recording using the software that came with the sound card..... If you ONLY KNEW how many times I've done this (for school) 2-3 times a voice part, 8 voice parts, 3-5 performances annually, 4-5 years..... Sitting through every one so as to hit the 'stop' button.....

AAAUUURRRRGH!!!!!!
  3. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

my sound card comes with a s/pdif optical in / out, i just plug it back into itself and it records midi to wave, into the program that's playing the midifile. trouble is, the updated program, which is heaps better, won't recognize inputs 7 and 8, which are the ones the optical cable uses. there are programs that do it for you, had a look at one last night, but couldn't get it to install properly, called timidity. there must be others though
  4. beaster

beaster New Member

I have a program called n-track studio. It is supposed to be able to do it, but I have never tried it.
  5. Jagman007_20

Jagman007_20 New Member

At school I have a program from roland to do straight wave to midi file conversion. I have also use Sonic foundry Acid music 2.0 to convert midi to wave conversions!
  6. toni87

toni87 New Member

you cannot convert songs so its stupid
  7. tavenger5

tavenger5 Mr Admin Guy Staff Member Admin

And why not? What do you think the majority of MIDI files are used for? (sspppt.. backing tracks)
  8. tvdnosterum

tvdnosterum New Member

it's not that difficult, you play your midifile, and you record with some stupid wave recorder... I know that it goes 1:1 timewise, but i think you will always have to do that! It can never go any faster then realtime. Right?
  9. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

Wave to midi, eh. Whats the name of the program, there's millions of midifile programmers that would LOVE to find out about that. You sure you don't mean midi to wave?
  10. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

one should think before opening their mouth about something they totally don't understand:thumbsup:
  11. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

wow, that just like totally answered my question. Thanks mate, now I just like won't have to worry about anything anymore, like, right, ......right...... yeh, whatever:hit:
  12. tvdnosterum

tvdnosterum New Member

13. bensongrey

bensongrey New Member

14. Jobu

Jobu New Member

I use Audio Compositor http://home.att.net/~audiocompositor/ along with free soundfonts. then import the waves into cakewalk and tweak. I believe it cost me $40 to register but was well worth it for my needs.
  15. saqibbhatti

saqibbhatti New Member

try Yamaha 320
  16. Bonza

Bonza New Member

This might be a stupid question, but why can't you use a standard wave recorder (like the one in Windows - if you are a sad sap like me and ARE using windows).
  17. GrossKhan

GrossKhan New Member

Hey cool Software
  18. Revolver

Revolver New Member

I have the same problem. I am looking for a good converter and so after a little searching found this site. Happy that maby I could find some awnswers i looked at and downloaded many of your suggestions and had too many problems to think of. So I decided to list my findings here so that others can get an idea.

I tried Timidity before I found this site and I found it to be completely rubbish. I installed it only to find somthing called a soundfont missing. So after a little searching I could not find a plain soundfont. They either converted the sounds into somthing else or did not work. Even with any soundfont on the program when I converted the file the wav. at the end was silent. Rubbish.

I then tried the melody assistant program. Rubbish. It was a clever program for finding music scores and other things, but not for converting.

That sound canvas by roland that somebody else mentioned, it costs about £30 and since I only want to convert 5 files (roughly 7 min) I didnt think it value for money.

As for recording it using my computer, I dont see what everyone else is talking about. Windows recoreder only records and manipulates other wav files. I think these people meant to use a microphone in front of their speaker or use a cable to push the output back into the input. I have neither so this doesnt work.

I am running out of ideas (and hair). I have a midi file, several converters that refuse to touch it (including acoustica, but I dont think it was compatible in the first place) and all I want is even a demo program that will work because I only need it for 5 small tracks that I want to convert perfectly, not add or change the tones and yet in the whole of the internet I cannot find someone who has the solution, program or website. Somebody help please!!!!
  19. Kentaro

Kentaro New Member

did u try Cool edit pro 2 ? i use it for severals of data types
  20. Jobu

Jobu New Member

Revolver,

Click - Start>Programs>Accessories>Entertainment>Volume Control

In the Volume Control window that pops up click on the Options menu select Propeties

In the Properties window that pops up highlight the Recording radio button then put a check by any control that is not checked. Then click the OK button.

A new window called Recording Control will pop up. You need to select the proper source to record from, only one can be chosen at a time. On the computer I am currently typing from the if I select "Stereo Mixer" as my recording source I record whatever is playing back. On your computer it may be called something else like... "What You Hear" or "Loopback". Try the different sources ignoring the obvious wrong ones (Mic, Line In, CD etc.) until you find the one that will work with the windows sound recorder to record your midi.

Once you have found that come back here to complain that you can now record your Midi to a Wave file but Sound recorder limits you to only 1 minute worth of recording. Then someone will point you to a freeware/shareware wave recorder.