midi --> wav, mp3 or whatever

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by shinchan01, Feb 1, 2004.

1. shinchan01

shinchan01 New Member

is there any way to convert midi files in wav or mp3 files without recording from the sound card?
  2. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Yes - you can push them straight into any midi module via a midi port. Most stock computers have a midi port as part of their soundcard - usually it doubles as the game port - but you can buy a simple expansion card which will provide you with a midi port, if you have no other available.
  3. Zandro

Zandro New Member

4. Jedi_Amara

Jedi_Amara New Member

Some sequencers allow you to do that, too. Or you can just burn to audio CD then rip again, but that's a waste of a CD...
  5. Giang

Giang New Member

thanks Zandro, that really helped me :boink:
  6. Zandro

Zandro New Member

I doubt you have tried that yourself. It does not work that way. MIDI files must be rendered with sampleage from a software synthesiser to WAV. No audio CD burners have that technology implemented, and most likely none ever will.
  7. fidelio

fidelio New Member

That MidiExpress program is a joke!
    wave files rendered at 22kHz (instead of 44.1) , and actually all it does is recording real time (slow!) midi sounds in wave format.
  8. lukeymcspook

lukeymcspook New Member

put any midi files u dload into fruity and then export them to wav and also u can alter the midi files
  9. mrh32

mrh32 New Member

Garage Band

If you have a mac Garage Band could probably do it, I don't think it uses a sound card, because I don't think most Mac's technically have sound cards per say (it's probably integrated on the motherboard or something).
  10. Arthur60F

Arthur60F New Member

The two best ways I tried are software only rendering solutions 'cause I have no instrument, no good midi card either.

1) TiMidity. FREE : It uses SF2 or other sound font types you can freely download on the net to render to speakers or to wave file. It is a bit tricky to configure in its Dos Box mode. The better your SF2 files, the better your wav rendering ! Some seconds latency, though :(

2) Yamaha SYXG100 : it's a very good XG Midi renderer. You can capture its output via TotalRecorder to make a stereo 44.1 kHz wave file. This is not the cheapest way, but it's easier to configure, you can't change sound font it uses, but you can modulate volumes and effects in real time : it gives good results too. Medium latency : 350 ms average.
  11. Ninjoid

Ninjoid New Member

I'd say try using OGG Converter. Works for me.
    Find it at http://www.cnet.com/
    Look up WAV Converters.
  12. Zandro

Zandro New Member