Midi--> wav

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by rogelio, May 18, 2004.

1. rogelio

rogelio New Member

Any such converter which will take a midi and create an mp3 out of it?
  2. DtrtRockHawk

DtrtRockHawk New Member

not that i know of....(nothing free anyways)...try the AR wizard and just do a little line-in recording....
  3. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Not possible - at any price.

You can convert a monophonic audio source to midi, but once you get any sort of polyphony in the source, conversion can not be done. Any thought of converting your favourite song to midi should be abandoned now.

Check the forum archiives - there a ton of threads about this subject.
  4. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

Eek, Graeme, I think he meant the other way around. :)
  5. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Ooops - so he did. I'm beginning to feel like one of Pavlov's dogs - sorry about that.

To turn a midi file into an audio file, all you need is a suitable audio recorder to record the audio out of whatever sound engine (synth, soft-synth, hardware module, etc.) you are using.

Following that process, there's loads of software to convert the file to an MP3.
  6. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Many cards feature loopback recording. Select MIDI/SW Synth in the Record Properties applet if available.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2004
  7. Black_Kat

Black_Kat Horny Hornist

I've been trying to figure a way, too. I found some interesting programs, but as the world is you have to pay for them :sad: When someone figures out how to (other than Prodigal Mom for her way is confusing) pleeease tell us alll!!!
  8. olibaba

olibaba New Member

Midi to MP3 shouldn't be a problem.
    try out http://www.midi2wav.com/
    but it's just a demo version

mp3/wav to midi is not really possible.
  9. wicked2984

wicked2984 New Member

convert midi to wav first.. i suggest WINGROOVE
    download is free from a search

and then WAV to MP3 it should work.

the only problem, is that the result will be different on each computer. In fact, it's the soundcard who play the music, with the instruments sounds that the manufacturer choose.
    So a midi-->mp3 done with a cheaper sound card, will be really awfull in comparison with a midi-->mp3 done with a Sound Blaster live/Audigy

Bye, good luck

wicked2984

:)
  10. wcm

wcm New Member

And how can I change the size of the midi files?? I want to put just a part of the song, but I didn't find the program that could do that... do u know?? I tried Mobile Music Polyphonic 1.5, but when i convert the midis my cel phone don't play it anymore...
  11. ane

ane New Member

wherez a place to download a converter?
  12. irdasmart

irdasmart New Member

This is the thing.
    An midi is not a typical sound file, like an MP3. It is instructions for the computer to play a song. The only way to covert a Midi is to record it. A wav. file is typicaly the format that you would want to chose to record to. However there are programs that allow you to convert directly. I use a program by Creative that came stock on my premade computer.
  13. leonlai86

leonlai86 New Member

these programs don't work
  14. Graeme

Graeme New Member

What do you mean? They work fine - maybe your problem is you fail to understand what it is you are trying to achieve. All the information above is true - to one extent or another.

A midi file is a set of performance instructions, it contains no sounds of its own. The sounds are generated by something else - a hardware sound module, synthesiser, soundcard or, increasingly, these days, a software synthesiser. The hardware/software used has a big bearing on the actual sounds produced and you could argue until the cows come home as to which is the better, but that's the way it works.

If you want to turn a midi into some sort of audio format, then you need to record the audio output of whatever deviceis creating the sounds. You may need to subsequently turn that file into another format, depending on your personal needs.

If you want to make the tune shorter, you have two options, edit the audio file or use a sequencer to edit the midi file before you convert it to audio.

The only information I can't be definitive on is for poking the resultant file (in whatever format) into a mobile phone. To me, this is a huge waste of midi's potential and it has no attraction for me. Personally, I couldn't care less what noise my phone makes, I just need to know that someone is trying to get hold of me.

However, I'm sure there are others here who do know about this step in the process.
  15. edwin084

edwin084 New Member

Ok tks u all very much!!!
  16. terrybecker

terrybecker New Member

why would you wat that?
  17. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

Midi to Wav then MP3 sounds good, are the results consistent and better than Midi to MP3 direct?
    Thanks
  18. Jesouhaite

Jesouhaite New Member

Is there a way to convert a mp3 to a midi?
  19. c_lau04

c_lau04 New Member

Re: converter

Ypu could try searching on the web for midi converter, it may come up with an option. likely to be shareware tho... :(
  20. Graeme

Graeme New Member

You didn't read my first post in this thread - where I incorrectly thought this was the original question.