midi with voice

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by Ak47, Jul 16, 2003.

1. zyxwv88

zyxwv88 New Member

The way midi is set up, it doesn't allow for voice. It has a timed start and stop and note and instrument, but that's about it. As someone mentioned, there can be a "choir" in midi, but that's basically just saying that you have "choir" as your instrument and it doesn't do actual words, just sounds vaguely like a choir. Kinda boring when you get into specifications, but the only way that you could have voice with a midi is to have some sort of wave sample mixed with the midi, and when you start doing that you may as well get rid of the midi part and go for wave/mp3 for the higher quality, because your file is going to be just as large or larger.
  2. BCC

BCC New Member

I was just wondering, if you're gonna use it for a website and then use your own java-based midiplayer. Isn't it possible to play a few wav files at key points in your midi? Sort of a module approach to it..
  3. Desertfish

Desertfish New Member

I've got a "Soundmax" soundchip on my motherboard, and it supports "DLS" files. (I think it's something like SoundFont).
    so you can play a midi file with some wave files included in the .dls file, eg a special sound effect or a voice.
  4. jazzy_jay

jazzy_jay New Member

Is this Virtual singer stuff for real.:confused2
  5. nomad

nomad New Member

Midis are just read as "Play a guitar sound at beat 209 note A1".... So voice doesn't work because you can't tell the computer "use madonna's voice say virgin at beat 225 tempo... ... ... ... ... ... etc... ... ... .." it's just to complicated and would sound like shit, I guess. If you want voice, you can get an mp3 or the CD. Or you could get the midi sequence and splice that with the voice track from the original song to get an mp3 file. :thumbsup: