midi_newbie

Discussion in 'Getting Started/New Member Help' started by Rico1, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Rico1

Rico1 New Member

hi,

registered here cos i'd like to learn midi :)

have a midi in/out keyboard with midi-usb cable to pc / WinXP

have just installed a version of 'Reason' synth/software, which i have configured for audio (ASIO). Reason works, but i don't think i can write anything / create original music files with it, without knowing how to use midi?

now the sticky bit

sometimes the midi cable works (all the lights come on) sometimes it doesn't (only one light on) - mystery?

Reason does not seem to recognise the midi link; although i have successfully hooked up to the pc, and transferred some downloaded midi files, between the keyboard and my computer, in the past.

i can record ideas into wav and mp3, and other formats; but how do i record some keyboard into midi / create midi files, please?

many thanks,

Ric
  2. Kwame

Kwame New Member

The lights aren't lighting up I imagine because there's no transmission going through. In order for the set-up to work:

Your cable has to be hooked up (and sometimes in the correct order when installing a driver).

You have to have the keyboard or VST set to transmit via midi, and the channels or device numbers must match.

You have to have the driver installed (correctly). Sometimes the drivers install, and otherwise work (send note on, note off, etc.), but your DAW software doesn't "see" the instrument. If it doesn't list your particular midi interface as an available port, then the driver is NOT installed correctly, even if it works when testing midi driver>straight to keyboard.

And finally, if it is listed in your DAW software as an available port, it must be selected (you'd be surprised how often even experienced people have problems with that). Some interfaces disappear from the list when off and reappear when on, but not as the primary source for MIDI.

Hope this helps...
  3. Rico1

Rico1 New Member

your help is kindly appreciated - thanks

sounds like i was fortunate to get as far as i did? ;-o

had the midi keyboard, dual plugs in the wrong way round; then the pc needed to verify connections: about 2 out of usb 4 hubs were acceptable - one audio, one midi; that is a nifty device, that Yamaha 'MusicSoft Downloader' - it lets you know straight away if there are any midi connection worries?

then the synth/software wasn't programmed to interact with an external midi device, so i turned that on; then, much to my amazement - been concertedly trying to understand midi for about a year, now - i found my keyboard was sounding within the software (on the screen), and i was subsequently able to record in midi

i 'audio option' exported the midi file as a wav then converted it to mp3

gosh: all in a day's work? ;)

http://www.archive.org/details/GamelinDays

bests

Ric
  4. ubeatyggo

ubeatyggo New Member

we are really contemplatives

bump up lurkI believe that we are not real social workers. We may be doing social work in the eyes of the people, but we are really contemplatives in the heart of the world. For we are touching the body of Christ twenty-four hours…And I think that in our family we don’t need bombs and guns, to destroy, to bring peace, just get together, love one another, bring that peace, that joy, that strength of presence of each other in the home. And we will be able to overcome all the evil that is in the world.Thsale is a professional, loyal and reliable wow gold supplier online, we pioneered selling cheap wow gold. Welcome to thsale buy world of warcraft gold Buy Cheap WoW Gold, World of Warcraft Gold, Please look here! We are a Great MMORPG company. wow money and wow items,which is very cheap WOW Gold!All US Server 24.99$/1000G on sell! Cheap wow gold,rs powerleveling,wow power leveling,Buy Cheapest/Safe/Fast WoW US EU Gold Power leveling ------------------------------White tea, Herbal Tea, Jasmine tea, Chinese Tea, Green Tea,