Midisoft Studio 4 and Vista

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by OMEB, Aug 12, 2008.

1. OMEB

OMEB New Member

I'll get right to the point, I have been using midisoft studio 4 for sequencing my drums tracks for many years now. I have a Sound Blaster Audigy Sound Card and I have many different soundfonts I used, but mainly one of my particular drums sounds that I made. This is the nerve center for everything I do as the One Man Electrical Band.

Last week my old computer that I built finally kicked the bucket. Its taken a few days to get around Vista but I've finally got my soundcard working along with Midisoft. I loaded my drums sounds into the new program "SoundFont Bank Manager" and the drum sounds work as I demo'd them upon opening Studio 4 my soundfont are not loading because for whatever reason it isn't recognizing the soundcard anymore and only sees the Midi Mapper when i select the output asignment. so does anyone with a little more computer knowledge than me have a solution?

my computer is a gateway GT5692 which has an AMD Triple Core, plus 4 gigs of ram. It is a 64 bit system....

HELP!!!!
  2. archymede

archymede New Member

3. kadri

kadri New Member

My question is, How on earth did you get Midisoft Studio 4 working in Vista in the first place? Ever since I upped to 2000, every OS I try to run studio 4 on has violently opposed me doing so... I don't mind putting Midis together in a base soundfont, I've got Timidity that helps me work with that(and convert to MP3, yay.), but if I can't even run the program to begin with, it's not doing me too good...

The other problem I run into with Studio 4, as odd as it sounds, is bizarre unseen program-change tweaks. I've noticed on occasion that some midis will have an autoswitch back to bank 01(piano) for certain tracks in the MIDI, outside of viewing with specific programs(they're not specific)...
  4. Therlou

Therlou New Member

It appears that, unlike Midisoft's Studio 6, Midisoft's Studio 4 really doesn't care what OS with which it is working. The key to making it work in the more recent OSes is to properly select the correct virtual memory value. In XP, with a total memory capacity of 1 GB, I had to select 511 MB as the Initial Size virtual memory value and 1024 for the Maximum Size virtual memory value for each of my page file drives. When I upgraded just recently to 2 GB of total memory capacity, I had to up the Initial Size virtual memory value to 3070 with a Maximum Size virtual memory value to 4092, or Studio 4 will experience the "Out of Memory" problem. Once the correct virtual memory values were entered and applied, Midisoft Studio 4 then began to run normally without any "Out of Memory" errors, and I have the Windows 98 upgraded value of the exe file, which saves the port selections in a sng file, thus saving a ton of time when re-loading a sng file. To make the changes to your virtual memory, do the following: START/SETTINGS/CONTROL PANEL/SYSTEM/ADVANCED/PERFORMANCE-SETTINGS/ADVANCED/VIRTUAL MEMORY-CHANGE. Then for each of your page file drives: Click on the specific page file drive. Select "Custom Size". Enter the correct Initial Size value, and enter the Maximum Size value in the boxes provided. Lastly, hit Apply. XP will then request a re-boot, and you should let it re-boot. When it is fully re-booted, then Midisoft Studio 4 should work. At least it does for me in XP. As far as Vista and Windows 7 are concerned, I would imagine that it should work, if you experiment to find the correct virtual memory values to utilize. It appears that Midisoft Studio 4 relies on virtual memory rather than on system memory into which to load its song files. Accordingly, if the virtual memory values are not correct, then you get the "Out of Memory" error. As well, be sure that whatever drive... internal, USB or zip drive from which Midisoft Studio 4 last loaded a Midi or sng file is available for access by the program, or you will experience a program loading problem. Additionally in XP, you can right click on the Studio 4 desktop icon, select Properties, select Compatibility, and select Windows 98/ME. But, if you do all of the above correctly, Midisoft Studio 4 should work for you as it does for me to this day...in XP. Best of luck with this great program.
  5. OMEB

OMEB New Member

I had no idea anyone ever replied to this post until today. I finally did get midisoft to function in Vista! I until recently had it working in Windows 7 64bit, although very buggy. Since my disc broke I've been simply placing the program file folder for studio on my desktop. I then just go in the folder and tell it to run straight from there using the compatibility wizard. Suddenly today for whatever reason Midisoft can not see the midi drivers. The audio in the computer is working but it automatically set to "use without drivers" and no audio comes from the program. I am trying to figure out how to make this work to no avail. I so wish a programmer could update the code in Studio to make it more compatible. To this day, nothing has come out with the same power and easy as this program. It is actually one of those moments of genius no one has every been able to recapture!
  6. mahi

mahi New Member

Last week my old computer that I built finally kicked the bucket. Its taken a few days to get around Vista but I've finally got my soundcard working along with Midisoft. I loaded my drums sounds into the new program "SoundFont Bank Manager" and the drum sounds work as I demo'd them upon opening Studio 4 my soundfont are not loading because for whatever reason it isn't recognizing the soundcard anymore and only sees the Midi Mapper when i select the output asignment. so does anyone with a little more computer knowledge than me have a solution?

ileatherwear i leather wear
    motorcycle jacket motorcycle jacket
    ccna ebook ccna ebook
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013