Mixing the Drums

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by voice of god, Dec 9, 2002.

1. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

Just wondering how you guys mix your drums on your midi files.

What I mean is what velocity do you run them at

here's what I'm trying at the moment

kick - 127
    snare - 127
    toms - 100
    closed hihat - 110
    open hihat - 80
    rides - 110
    cymbals - 100
    tambourine - 100
    rim,claps - 110
  2. Jobu

Jobu New Member

Well I first convert my drums to WAV's, one for each individual drum/cymbal before I try to mix them, but when I am making my drum tracks I definately vary the velocity of drum hits (with special attention given to drum breaks/rolls) to give them a more realistic sound. Also i think it depends on what soundcard you haveand what hardware is playing them back. In the end listen to it in the mix an adjust accordingly, preferably playing them back while you are playing your live parts along with the backing tracks. It can sound fine by itself but once you starting adding other instruments then sometimes the backing drums (or tracks)can get lost in the mix because some other instrument occupies the same frequency(ies).
  3. BlackHawk

BlackHawk New Member

As a drummer myself, let me give you a couple of tips:

- A drummer never plays every single note at the same volume. Try and randomise the velocity a bit.

- Make sure if you are doing drum rolls that the velocity falls for a bit and then goes back to normal after that, to simulate the effect of the two sticks bouncing on the drum head one after another.

- Pan your drum kit from left to right across the whole spectrum to get a wider and more spacious feel. Generally speaking, kick and snare go in the center, hi-hat is off to one side, ride is off to the other side of the hi-hat, and other cymbals (crash splash) are dotted around (depending on where you want to give the impression that the cymbals are placed).

Hope this helps.