mp3 to midi

Discussion in 'Sequencing Software' started by whatever, Jun 3, 2003.

1. whatever

whatever New Member

how do you convert mp3 to midi??
  2. slickvic

slickvic Father to his Children

One of the most frequently asked questions on the Midi Buddy Forum is, "How can I convert MP3 or WAV files to MIDI?"

It seems like a good idea. After all, MIDI files are much smaller than huge WAV or even compressed MP3 files. Unfortunately, the nature of MIDI makes conversions from digital audio extremely limited at best.

Unlike MP3, WAV, and other digital audio files, MIDI files don't really contain recorded music. Instead, the music is stored as a series of numbers which tells a synthesizer how the music is to be played back. Yes, a MIDI file must be played on a synthesizer. You may not know it, but the sound card in your computer also contains a MIDI synthesizer.

Here's a simplified explanation of how MIDI works. To reproduce the sound of a piano playing a C note, the MIDI file, or sequence, contains digital information that says, "this is a piano sound." Another number says, "a note has been played," and other numbers convey information such as, "the note is middle C," "the key was struck very softly," "the note has now stopped," etc. Musicians love MIDI because it's easy to edit the files.

MIDI files aren't recorded, they are "sequenced." Most MIDI files are made by a musician playing on a synthesizer keyboard. Each instrument must be entered separately, but since MIDI can have multiple tracks, the resulting sequence sounds like the instruments are all playing simultaneously.

The fact that MIDI sequences must be created one instrument at a time prevents almost all digital audio files from being converted. There are several "pitch to MIDI" software programs such as WAV to MIDI Converter and Intelliscore that CAN convert a file to MIDI. The catch is that the audio file must be of a solo instrument.

Finally, since MIDI must be played on a synthesizer, you can't record vocals or other sounds that are not available on the synthesizer. That's why you can't convert an MP3 file of a pop song to MIDI.

-vic

I got it from
    HERE
  3. jeo

jeo New Member

tried but failed
  4. Bimbolate

Bimbolate New Member

Da gibt es ein Program das heißt mp3converter die bekommst du unter www.download.com
  5. truePS2gamer

truePS2gamer New Member

Try making MIDIs

If you try to make some MIDIs you'll realize how much different MIDIs are from MP3s. MP3s are recordings. MIDIs are sythesizers sequenced by a PC. Use Cakewalk and try it.
  6. incubusxtrem

incubusxtrem New Member

cakewalk is a very good program to being learning exactly how different midi's really are from mp3's and seeing as how it can be pirated from most p2p applications makes it very cheap as well.
  7. abu wisam

abu wisam New Member

10x for the info Vic :)
  8. axsys

axsys New Member

mp3s are totally different than midis, and i have looked far and hard for a good convertor, and the best i found is called all4 mp3 wav convertor. you can get it at download.com. it doesnt do a great job, but its the best ive seen.
  9. cosmic_c

cosmic_c New Member

Intelliscore 5.0 does a good job

The intelliscore 5.0 software does a good job, just search on google.com for it.
  10. gyromite

gyromite New Member

There's this program called WIDI Recorder I think..it does a pretty good job of converting MP3s to MIDI. You can download the trial to see how it works, but it wont let you save it. You'll have to get the full version...im still looking for the crack...
  11. stuntman

stuntman New Member

ce sont de bon prog pour les midi
  12. Zandro

Zandro New Member

WIDI n'est pas meilleur que Digital Ear, à mon avis.
  13. fausto26

fausto26 New Member

Just try to find the midi song over the net

Vic´s explanation is veru clear, midi is VERY diff from MP3/WAV

A midi file is like a group of orders, the file tell the pc what instrument to play and when.
  14. osvi

osvi New Member

mp3 to midi??? :jawdrop:
  15. audriuz

audriuz New Member

what about the filesize when converted to midi from mp3 ?
  16. Zandro

Zandro New Member

MIDI is only a set of commands to be sent to a synthesiser, and contains NO audio data. Therefore, the file size should be very small compared to any MP3.
  17. tinglto

tinglto New Member

I have cakewalk express. The version i had before had the capability to edit the lyrics or even add lyrics to the song. THis version doesn't seem to have the option in the menu any more. Can anyone tell me where I can get the software with the lyrics option? I lost my CD with the program on it :-(. THanks in advance
  18. Ezben

Ezben New Member

Do anyone know how to tune widi?
  19. Cry0

Cry0 New Member

who knows about *.xm to midi conversion??
  20. Zandro

Zandro New Member

It could be feasible, because I know MOD>MIDI conversion is a reality, and MOD and XM are sister formats. Is there a program to do it?