MP3 to midi

Discussion in 'Sequencing Software' started by boogerman2000, Jun 6, 2002.

1. boogerman2000

boogerman2000 New Member

Can you convert mps or wav to midi
  2. Lilphatso

Lilphatso New Member

havent heard of a program that does that yet... If you happend to find one, please let me know.
  3. ceryeix

ceryeix New Member

Try searching "mp3 midi" on download.com
  4. pooya

pooya New Member

i do not think so you can do that? if you found anything please let me know
  5. jrobertson

jrobertson board member

short answer is no.
    mp3 or wav. cannot be tranferred to midi.
    program called "ear" can transfer single mono track to midi .
    not up too much
  6. letsgroove

letsgroove New Member

that's what I've been searching for. also if you know something let me know
  7. hana_dan

hana_dan New Member

8. lovable_deb

lovable_deb New Member

I'm not totally sure but i think you have to record your midis to wav (audio input) and then convert them to mp3 to do it that way but i dont think there is a way of onverting mp3 to midi as midi is a completely different type of file which is far too complicated to explain
  9. tequila_sunrise

tequila_sunrise New Member

if u find anything mail me please!
  10. spiderwal

spiderwal New Member

you can get mp3 to wav converters and then wav to midi converters
  11. oysone

oysone New Member

I,ve only seen 1 program to do this.........but it was limited to a siingle instrument track............and the result was 'nt that great
    :cool:
  12. willi001

willi001 New Member

if it were that simple to do, then everyone would be converting songs..Midi is too track specific to be able to convert mp3's..They are in stereo(only 2 tracks) and midi files can have up to 16 mono tracks of information...It would be a lot of work to reassign everything..
    Willi...
  13. Marcus

Marcus New Member

You can't convert audio to midi. You'd be wasting your time searching for a converter.

Marcus.
  14. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

I've been programming midfiles for about 7 years. There are a couple of wave to midi converters I tried that"worked" but by the time you assign, separate, and adjust everything, you end up with a bigger mess than the program finished up with. It's quicker and easier to sequence the song in the first place.
  15. D200

D200 New Member

Just want to say first, hello im new :)

This is a physical impossibility. As some people have already said, there are some progs that will convert a recorded sample of a monophonic instrument to midi, but these have very limited use. I'll try to explain the best i can.

MIDI is not an audio format, it is a protocol allowing MIDI enabled devices to communicate.

eg: you could press a key on a synth, say a Juno 106 for argiuements sake, and have it trigger the sounds of another keyboard or module in your studio. (thus eliminating the need for multiple keyboards).

On the other hand, MP3 is a 2 track (1 stereo track) linear digital audio format which can be created from a number of sources (including mixing down a MIDI file)

MIDI files are collections of instructions telling MIDI equipment how to behave.

If you try to remember that MIDI contains no actual sound data, it will become obvious why you cant convert MP3 to MIDI.

Its like saying "Can I scan a copy of a letter then edit the text with microsoft word". obviously you cant, 'coz the scanned letter is a bitmap image and contains no data of the text written on the letter. Do you follow?

Its a one way process - no going back im afraid. Can you not get a MIDI of whatever it is?
  16. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

Here's an easy way to think of midi. Midi a keyboard to your computer. There are sixteen channels(like 16 wires going to the computer). Pick channel one. Push key down, sound goes on. Lift finger up, sound goes off. the longer your finger is down, the longer the sound stays on. Give each channel a number, ie 34 for bass, or 2 for piano, and oila, midifile created. Of course, it gets much more complicated, but that's the basic. almost like binary code.sortof???
  17. TonePoet

TonePoet New Member

I don't remember the name of the company/model, but I do remember reading a review in either Electronic Musicain or Keyboard magazine recently that talks about a new product that is designed to trigger MIDI notes from an audio source. Wish I could be more specific, but you might search the sites for both mags to see if the review is online.
  18. simmo68

simmo68 New Member

Yes you can with WAVtoMidi but the file has to be mono. shit results though
  19. micke2020s

micke2020s New Member

rep

never heard
  20. dcsports

dcsports New Member

Too bad...would be nice.