MP3 to midi

Discussion in 'Sequencing Software' started by boogerman2000, Jun 6, 2002.

1. CraziJaci

CraziJaci New Member

Supposedly there's programs that promise to convert MP3 or WAV to MIDI; WAV2MIDI, Intelliscore etc. - but none of them have worked for me. It's really too bad though.
  2. beerbelly

beerbelly New Member

found this program called WIDI. its like the rest of them praograms that converts wav to midi but this one converts mp3 to wav first then to midi.

although it only converts it to only one track, its more distinguishable than the other programs i've used.

if you ask me, i'd still rely on trying to learn the song then convert it myself. we filipinos like to call it "mano manong kapaan" :) its good training for the ears too! :)
  3. johnpercyjr

johnpercyjr New Member

I have only heard of programs that will convert a single instrament in a wav file format to a midi track, i havent't heard any thing good about them.
    Since I am the only sequenser in my band it would be nice if there was a program out there that you could put a music cd in your pc and have any song converted into a full midi file, but then im dreaming. Besides, how could you take pride in yout work if you did it that way....:cool:
  4. keroppilee

keroppilee New Member

could it be done? that would be cool
  5. Wolvie

Wolvie New Member

I'm doing an audio engineering course on this subject at the moment... I'll try to keep this short and to the point...

Depending on the wav file it may or may not be an absolute impossibility...

As mentioned above, MIDI is not an audio format, it is a protocol allowing MIDI enabled devices to communicate. All communications are carried in binary... For example an A 440Hz note on a guitar may be translated as 100100110 in binary...

MIDI files are a database of instructions telling MIDI equipment how to play the selected piece or track. Midi varies in size. Most pieces of equipment handle a standard 16 channels. Studios can handle into the 1000's but then again who is going to record in midi when audio is far superior and "life-like"...

Mp3's, Cd's Wav are usually mixed into individual channels or "lines" when recorded.

If a guitar, bass and drums are recorded into a mixer or a music recording program... eg Cool Edit Pro... Then there are usually a minimum of 9 or 10 channels just for those 3 instruments... These are then mixed down to 2 stereo channels...

If this finished cd was then to be converted into midi, it would all be converted into one massive messed up midi channel, and you wouldn't get a seperate channel for drums, bass and guitar on the midi....

If for instance, the one bass guitar was fed into a midi converter you would get a perfect midi conversion (95% of time) due to being an individual instrument...

Hence, the short explanation is as follows...

CONVERSION OF MP3 to MIDI....

1) If the Mp3 is just of one instrument and one instrument only then yes it is possible to make the conversion

Note: Drums is not one instrument in recording... Drum is usually counted as 8 channels or "instruments"... 1 Bass Drum, 3 Toms, 1 Snare, 2 Cymbals, 1 H/h...

2) If the Mp3 consists of more than one instrument than NO it is not possible...

I hope that was helpful and not too confusing...

Wolvie:boink:
  6. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

check out the 'MIDI, General' section in FAQ at the top of the thread page
  7. daz

daz New Member

very nice cheers for the info m8
  8. cohort

cohort New Member

I have a converter that can convert mp3 to wav and wav to mp3 but not midi!