MP3 to MIDI

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by uk_vamp, Sep 3, 2003.

1. uk_vamp

uk_vamp New Member

Is it possible to convert a MP3 file into a midi file? so like if i had an MP3 of a song or TV show theme is it possible to convert it into a MIDI or isn't it that simple?

guess it helps if you understand how midi files work which errr i don't :(
  2. taktik

taktik New Member

i think you will find that you dont have much success :(

you are better off finding an already made midi version of the mp3 ... which can or canot be difficult

an mp3 to midi program has to scan the wave file for instruments and notes which is a very hard thing to do!!!!!! :)
  3. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Use any search engine, and you will recieve thousands of hits on this very same question.
  4. frostytaco

frostytaco New Member

too bad there are no useful answers.
  5. lizziesoreo

lizziesoreo New Member

so which formats are best to convert to midi's then? does .wma work?:rolleyes:
  6. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Notation formats are the best to convert to MIDI, not any form of streaming audio. Take MOD files for example: with SoundFont support, it can be converted to MIDI almost flawlessly.
  7. arpanparikh

arpanparikh New Member

i was wondering about the same exact thing
  8. timichu

timichu New Member

i dont think this is really possible, but i would like to see it if it is!
  9. nemesis2181

nemesis2181 New Member

I think that there is no souch good program that can convert mp3-wav to midi
  10. :HobBes:

:HobBes: New Member

it is technically very hard to convert a wav-mp3 file into midi, because you have to scan the wave data for instruments, notes, length, pitch, volume and more. if you have one or prob. two instruments playing it would be possible but to "hear" a whole band or orchestra is very hard, because the computer doesn't work like our brains do when we hear something.
    and it is even harder to filter a human voice and cut or convert it!!

hopes it helps
  11. Orpheus

Orpheus New Member

it is all true about programs. there is no such program that can make it accetable. but if you have good ears, you ca make it yourself in 2-6 hours :p .

i do so...
  12. tenor3086

tenor3086 New Member

The reason for all this has to do with the wave nature of sound -- what we hear is actually a single composite sound wave. The clicking of your fingers on the computer keys, the fan going in the background, the people screaming next door -- it all goes in your ear as a single wave. MIDI allows you to set up multiple "channels" of sound, each producing a wave that is compounded when it exits your speakers. MP3 and WAV files are simply the whole soundwave all together, because that's how most music is recorded -- it doesn't bother keeping all the channels separate.
  13. linkz_123

linkz_123 New Member

Goldwave is one program that I know of for converting audio files. There is also CoolEdit Pro, but it's much more difficult to use.Goldwave is shareware.
  14. joni11

joni11 New Member

have u ppl head about ts audio?
    its good to convert audio to midi but its hard work, cos must convert one by one track and many more problem inside it
  15. T-N-T

T-N-T New Member

16. seeper

seeper New Member

I couldn't get widi to work, crashed on the install.
  17. ramik

ramik Guest

the software to do this that i tried produce very very bad midi files from mp3/wav files...

maybe for single track wavs/mp3 they might work...
  18. joni11

joni11 New Member

u have the serial number of widi?
    i have try widi, the sound quite strang but still ok, must to change the instrument, but i cant save it cos mine widi just trial version only
  19. Zandro

Zandro New Member

To get a valid serial number, you have to buy the product, joni11.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2003
  20. gallusmc

gallusmc New Member

well it's the same than wav to midi or something, it's IMPOSSIBLE! Maybe there r some programs that try to interpret the sound of the wav on midi but it sounds *&*&*&*&ty....

tenor3086 almost said it.......wav-files are complete waveforms and midi-files are just some values that are interpreted by your soundcard's midi-synthesizer. so you have to imagine that Midi-files just include sequencer-data that can be interpreted by Midi-synths or VSTs or some else things that uses Midi-in. (and do not include waveforms or any sounds)

i hope it was possible for me to explain this in a simple way....and sorry my bad english ^^

p.s. maybe i have to add that it must be possible to do this with monophonic songs, but this is something you have to find out yourself...maybe sometimes it works and most times it doesn't work...but forget it with normal music

peace
    gallusmc
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2003