MP3 to Midi

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by eFonzi, Nov 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donny4321

Donny4321 New Member

i suppose an mp3 with only one track might come out decent with one of these converters
  2. Graeme

Graeme New Member

All I can say is, if that's the best, it doesn't say much for the others. I've looked at WIDI and I find it totally useless - which comes as no surprise, since it's technically impossible to derive individual midi streams from a polyphonic input.

If you need midi files, you either have to make them yourself or get them from somebody who does know how to do it.
  3. Sheringham10

Sheringham10 New Member

damn how many threads I have seen concerning mp3 to midi convertor.. is it hard to figure out that there is and never will be such a program..
    if u have a bit of a musical talent and ambition to do midis.. u can produce better stuff than the current programs!
  4. data8504

data8504 New Member

I think this is a neat topic... In response to a whole bunch of qualms about polyphonic tracks, that's all handled, in most cases, by the DirectSound acceleration placed behind the MP3 decoding... taking apart sounds isn't hard because of the way MP3s are stored... a "three-dimensional" matrix of time vs. amplitude vs. frequency, so you can easily pull freqs apart. You might do a search for WaveAnal on google -- get that, and then use the OCX control it provides. Pass your input as "Stereo Mix," and go frame by frame... looking for notes and then plotting them on a staff.

I suppose that'd take a while.

And I suppose you could write a program for doing it too.

But hey, those are my two cents.
  5. nidog

nidog New Member

is there anyway to convert a midi to mp3, I mean so it will sound more like an instrumental then something being played on a bell.
  6. Zandro

Zandro New Member

No, but you can render a MIDI file to WAV with use of a software GM bank.
  7. Graeme

Graeme New Member

I think you are deluding yourself. Your statement is total nonsense. It has nothing to do with MP3's, per se, but everything to do with polyphony, no matter what format it is stored in.

At the risk of repeating myself (yet again) -

IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO CONVERT .WAV, .MP3, .RA, OR ANY OTHER AUDIO FILE FORMAT TO MIDI.

Anyone who thinks this can be done is wrong. Believe me, if it could be done, there would be a ton of software on the market to do this job. There are plenty of applications around which make the claim, but none of them work. Those people who have tried them, know this to be true and have said so many times, here and elswhere.

The moment there is any hint of polyphony in a file, there is no way you can 'split' the notes apart again. You can't make an omelette and then expect to turn it back into eggs.

The only exception to the rule is where the source file contains a monophonic instrument. Some success can be had with turning a file such as this into a midi stream.

Basically, though, anyone attempting to turn a polyphonic music file into a midi stream is;

a - wasting their time

b - failing to understand the nature of midi and its use

Midi is primarily a means for creating music, not the other way around.
  8. afura

afura New Member

it is possible but it sounds really bad
  9. Graeme

Graeme New Member

If I were you, I'd keep my money in my pocket - this is nonsense!! There is no way you can take apart a polyphonic recording in this manner and derive a correctly channeled midi stream from it.

I've already said this more than once, what you are trying to do is analogous to turning an omelette back into eggs, or bread back into flour, water and yeast - it ain't gonna happen!

A CHALLENGE FOR THOSE WHO REMAIN UNCONVINCED

Go to my SoundClick page;

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/graemejayemusic.htm

and download the first track there ("Strictly Me"). This track was developed entirely with a midi sequencer and midi instruments, so - if you guys are right - it should be easy to get it back to its original midi format.

I'm offering 100 pounds, dollars, euros (real ones, not MB$!!) - or whatever your local currency is - to the first person who can send me a midi sequence which exactly matches the original one, with all the parts, patch changes, etc., etc.

Personally, I think my money is as safe as houses, but I'm prepared to pay to be proven wrong.
  10. rknrne

rknrne Active Member

Money well saved ... too bad no compounded interest (money)
    to all those ppl who argue with you !

.... :boink:
  11. midimaster05

midimaster05 New Member

first things first, you can convert between kar files and mid files easily (by chainging the extension on the file) and voila! You might have something better to work with! newayz, something else 2 think about!

next, Graeme, hope that spelling's right, IT CAN BE DONE, just not very well, I've tried it loadz of timez, and trust me it is all doable, it just takes A VERY LONG TIME!!!!! Trust me it does work, just not well!

thx!!!!
  12. Graeme

Graeme New Member

It's my name - if I can't spell it, then nobody can :)

As far as the audio to midi conversion is concerned - no, it can't be done well. It's a lot easier to re-write the tune from scratch than to try and convert it - that was the whole point I was trying to make to all those people who seem to think that it's as easy a falling off a greasy pole, as long as they acquired the right software to do the job (which doesn't and never will, exist).

You want to take me up on my offer? Please go ahead.

I have all the necessary information stored for the rendering of the file. If you produce a midi from that tune, all I have to do is push it through my system and it should end up exactly the same. Still want to try?
  13. midimaster05

midimaster05 New Member

i hear ya!!!!

i'm not quite sure about all of those other peeps on this post, though!

i'll rig up something, if u want, but i don't care about it, you've made ur point!

say, can u make some midis 4 me? I've tried a lot of times, but some things don't sound right!

post if interested!!!

thx!!!
  14. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Sorry, no. I don't even have the time to write my own stuff at the moment, as I'm very busy with another (totally unrelated to music) project.

However, I don't mind trying to help you out if you can explain a little more about things not 'sounding right'. In what way they sound wrong?
  15. midimaster05

midimaster05 New Member

huh?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

the 1'z that don't sound right r gone already, but don't worry, i'll make more soon, if, like u, i ever get the time 2!

say, what's this "other music project" ur working on newayz?? i might be able 2 help!!!

:smart:

alright that'll b all, and feel free to send me a PM if u like!

(don't ask me why I just said that) *sighs* it seems that, one time or another, things just keep tiring people out!! *sighs again* oh well
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2003
  16. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Re: huh?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

As I said, it is totally unrelated to music. So, unless you're into building houses in the middle of rural Spain, there's not much I could offer you.
  17. rknrne

rknrne Active Member

sounds like fun Graeme

I've been tearing one down here and putting it back together for about 15 years ,by the time I get to the next room the first one needs repairing, but it's a gauge of how well my carpentery skills have grown , not that I was ever wanting to be a carpenter,painter/drywaller, electrician, plumber or gasman lol

(spare time ) what a concept
  18. Graeme

Graeme New Member

That's one word for it! I could probably come up with a few others. In the past, I have.

This is my second. The first (in which I live) was habitable when I bought it, so it only took about three months to knock it around a bit to suit our requirements.

This new one is another story altogether. Basically, we've had to knock it down and rebuild from scratch, so it's taking a lot longer.

Hahaha - I know what you mean. I've done (and will be doing) all the carpentry, but much of the other stuff has been done by those with the right skills - it works out quicker and cheaper in the long run. There's little point in me taking a week to plaster a room when a professional can do it (better) in a day, for the same money that I can earn in that day.

Even so, it's amazing how often I get called out to look at some problem or other and talk the solution through with those doing the actual work. Since the new house is next door to the old one, it makes me too accessible sometimes.

Tell me about it!

Mind you, it seems to me there are too many bodies around here with a lot of it on their hands and who could do themselves a favour by a bit of home-study of their chosen subject - in this case, the conversion of audio to midi ;) .
  19. nguyen

nguyen New Member

It cannot be done. Midi cannot synthesis a voice it is impossible.
  20. nguyen

nguyen New Member

One more thing - Even if it could, the file would become too large and would be impractical for phone ringtones.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.