Musicals.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ronny, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

Musicals, you either love them or hate them. Any musical fans out there?

My favourite musical of all time is Jesus Christ Superstar. Being a metal-head at heart the rock feel of this musical is second to none.

Saw the 2000 Stage Show last year and it was one of the best nights entertainment I've ever had.

Any thoughts on it?

What about your favourite musicals?
  2. jessicag

jessicag New Member

Ive never seen Jesus Christ Superstar but had to perform one of the songs out of it once when i went to highschool as a music assignment.
  3. Ronny

What was the song?
  4. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

I played one of the songs in an organ(don't laugh) playing contest when I was about 8. I was going fine till I started ad-libbing and turned a nice slow song into a rocked up version. Can't remember the song though.
    Don't think I've ever been to a musical either
  5. Ronny

You don't know what you're missing. If you have a file sharing prog on your computer do a search for and download "Heaven on their Minds" by Jerome Pardon from JC and I guarantee you will be surprised.

One of the greatest!!:thumbsup:
  6. mrrincewind2000

mrrincewind2000 grand midi pubah

if you only see one musical in your life, you have to see les miserables.

I am actually a very accomplished actor and singer, with about 15 roles in musicals under my belt.

There is nothing like taking words on a page, and turning them into a character.
  7. Ralph'e'

Ralph'e' www.ralphe.tk

les miserables is good apparently but i hv never seen it :p

i had to duo A HEART FULL OF LOVE back in 7th form for my music assessmet :p
  8. Ronny

Les Miserables is fantastic. It's got absolutley everything in it. the music is incredible and when Eponine sings that last line of "A Little Drop of Rain" I challenge anyone not to have a tear in their eye.

One of the most moving scenes ever in theatre. I've never seen it live 'cos it never comes this far North but someday, someday....
  9. Ronny

Hey mrrincewind2000. What shows have you done? I'm in two Amatuer Dramatic Groups and have done, Kiss Me Kate, Oklahoma, Anything Goes, South Pacific, Calamity Jane, Me and My Girl, the lighting for My Fair Lady and am The Producer of our forthcoming show 42nd Street.

The biggest and best part was Will Parker in Oklahoma but I thoroughly enjoyed Francis Fryer in Calamity Jane.

Check out my web site for one of the groups.

Ballywillan Drama Group
  10. ERGE

ERGE New Member

Musicals - Billy?

I've seen about 30 mucals on stage. Strange; I didn;t like Les Miserables that much although I saw it on broadway.

I'm now in a musicalgroup that does Billy Liar (6o's, UK) . I can't find ANY music from this musical anywhere. Any ideas?

ERGE
  11. princessshar

princessshar New Member

I like Chorus Line and Chicago personally
  12. xoxo0628

xoxo0628 New Member

Hiya!

yah my favorite musical of all time has to be rent!! Next to that, i really want to se the musical Hairspray!

:)
  13. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

I really enjoyed Ragtime.... and Mama Mia comes highly reccomended (though I haven't gotten there yet!)
  14. Ralph'e'

Ralph'e' www.ralphe.tk

wat about; Grease? :p
  15. jeaniesing

As far as DOING....... My faves are:
    West Side Story... I still love the music.... I've been in the pit twice and backstage once.
    And for sheer fun of being onstage I like the Nunsense 'series'.... 'course I get to be the Gospel-belting Nun and what's more fun than belting Gospel style?? Being that the shows are parodies in and of themselves we were still discovering jokes written into the script on the last evening of the show..... the audience would roar and we'd look at one another with the "That WAS a joke" wink ;) I've been a nun onstage more than any other character, yeesh!!

We put up (at the h.s. level) Calamity Jane just last year.... Oklahoma a few before that, Anything goes before that.... Hello Dolly (not my fave) this year and once before..... Lil' Abner twice... My favorite done at the HS level was 7 Brides for 7 brothers.... funny show if you've got 7 guys who can handle independent harmony.... just take my advice and color-code the couples or things get wierd!!!
  16. Si

Si Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

I like West Side Story. Saw Yul Brynner in The King And I when I was a kid which was ok. And of course, not forgetting "The Pirates Of Penzance". Used to play my flute for Gilbert & Sullivan productions at school. School.....ah, but a distant memory......*drifts of to thinking about Rubik's cubes, leg warmers....*
  17. jeaniesing

....And then he starts the eighties thread ;)..... Hey Si... you join Sarahqt and I in ranks of flute-playing MIDIBuddiers!
  18. Si

yes, it is amazing what inspires new threads. I should play my flute more than I do nowadays.
  19. jeaniesing

You and Sarah and I will have to do international trios ;) I should play more too - I play for school regularly, and church every few months... but its been a long time since I practiced regularly. And since I WAS a flute major in college- that's BAD!

Back to musicals... (and the eighties) the orchestra pit is where I spent the majority of the eighties I think..... Me'n my flute.... and a clarinet, oboe, occasionally sax......
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2003
  20. Si

International trios hey? Hmmm.. :jawdrop: