my boyfriend wants me to get a Kia

Discussion in 'Cars' started by mom2ericha, Sep 3, 2004.

1. mom2ericha

mom2ericha New Member

I know NOTHING about cars (well, almost nothing!) My boyfriend/fiance wants me to get a Kia and he's willing to finance it for me, which is great. I've always been leary of foreign cars though....he says they have a 10,000 mile or ten year warranty on them and they are worth it. I'm worrying the parts are going to be crummy and it will break down...does anyone know about them and are they good cars and worth the money?
  2. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

from what Ive heard they are the best of the korean made cars(better than hyundai, I think?).

Japanese made cars are supposedly made better, but cost more too.

They are not bad for the price is what Im trying to say, I think.

Drive one and see what it feels like
  3. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

I'd be concerned about the overall reliability and safety. Whether they're a good deal for the money is pretty much a judgement call. Check out Edmunds.
  4. G-man

G-man Prodigal Philanthropist

Umm... is he trying to dump you? :laugh2:

Sounds to me like the ol' put your girlfriend in a boat and take away the paddles and push her out to sea trick. :ah:

Yeah, I'm with Zel here Consumer Reports doesn't have much faith in the Kia brand and from stories my buddies have told me they are pretty much right on this not very safe and highly unreliable... the Honda has a nice car but from what I've seen of late the prices are catching up with them... expect to pay what you'd pay for a BMW or similar. If you want a good foreign car that is reliable and inexpensive... look into Toyota or Nissan for starters.
  5. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

A simple way to tell? Has he recently bought a Firebird or similar vehicle? ;)....

One of my colleagues went the Kia route when one son decided to do the grad school thing the same year as the adopted son (nephew) started college... (Can we say "KaCHING" boys and girls?) This week he's been dancing on air as the first son got a "Real Job" and he can finally get away from that "damnable thing" and into a new truck... American made...
  6. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

from my understanding late model hyundai's are better than kias.
    g-man i think you're wrong, if you have been car shopping lately toyotas are actually more expensive than similar models of hondas but they have less options bc many have been included. Many Japanese cars are very highly rated for their safety. If anyone of you are wondering if a Toyota Corolla is actually a foreign car, it is not, that car has actually been developed with GM and the plant is in California. Heck GM owns like 35% share of kia, eh don't quote me on that, but I’ve read it was around there. There aren't many cars that are truly foreign anymore.
    Ford has it's hands in Volvo and land rover and since chassis development cost car manufactures alot, different brands and models might have a derivative or even the same chassis to keep costs down.

I have driven the new Hyundai tiburon and comparing it to a civic, it don't feel as if i'm in a sardine can. In a civic it really seems like i'm driving around in a sardine can, don't get me wrong civics are very safe vehicles. Civics are pretty nimble and their transmissions are really efficient, so if you were to try to drive at the speed limit say of 30mph, the automatic's shifting point is going to be right at 30mph, which means you'll either be going slower than 30 or faster, but not 30.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  7. kagome_7878

kagome_7878 New Member

i'd say go for it, kia's are pretty good cars
  8. XxCrOsSxX

XxCrOsSxX New Member

Taking the fact that Kia "is" Hyundai, u know that both cares are pretty decent. Hyundai bought out Kia some years ago...i know this cuz i was in Korea during that time. Hyundai/Kia can offer this 10 year 100,000 mile warranty because their parts are technically from Mitsubishi motors. Although Mitsubishi is more expensive, ur just paying for the name, not the price. Go with Kia / Hyundai for a pretty reliable part (Mitsubishi) and stick with the 10yr/100,000 mile warranty. Trust me, Korean cars arent that bad....ive lived up in Korea....
  9. crunkaugusta

crunkaugusta New Member

it's cheap. if u wreck it you can get another car.
  10. DarkMirror20

DarkMirror20 New Member

One of my best friends has a Kia and she had major mechanical problems with it... new from the lot. Then of course you know its the dealer's responsibility to make it YOUR responsibility no matter what goes wrong. So yeah... the car cost her a lot more than she bargained for... You may want to consider a couple other options...