Need Electric Guitar Pick up advise...

Discussion in 'Guitar' started by theARTiSAN, Jul 16, 2002.

1. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

Hey guys,
    I've got 2 electric guitars:
    1. A Jackson Concept 6 string electric w/Floyd Rose, 2 humbuckers and 1 single-coil pick up (and)
    2. An Ibanez 5 string (just broke one...) electric (also Floyd Rose) with a single humbucker and 2 single-coil pickups.

I am going to be replacing the remaining pickups on both guitars soon and want to know what every1 recommends.

I have already replaced the bridge pickup in my Jackson with a Seymour Duncan - and have been impressed (mostly) with the sound. It made a huge improvement over the 1994 stock Jackson (very CRAP) pickup I replaced...

I want something that will offer a versatile sound - I play everything from Stevie Ray Vaughan to Megadeth...

Stay with Duncans?

Thanks!:D
  2. weed_manus

weed_manus New Member

Well.......That wouldn't be a bad idea, my friend.
    You can also look into the EMG line of P/U's, They are great also.
    If you are looking for a SRV tone I would recomend Fender's Texas Specials & an Ibanez tube screamer foot pedal.
    By all means the choice is ultimatly yours.....................
    Play on & rock hard!!!!!
  3. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

Thanks bro -
  4. bbaker

bbaker New Member

I replaced the stock PU in my Epihpone Les Paul with Duncan and am very pleased. EMG are good for the Megadeath thrash, Duncans more classic rock. I also have a PRS Sananta SE and for the money ($399 now) this is a verstital axe. Agree with other post, for SRV, a strat is a must have.
  5. cbeitzel

cbeitzel New Member

I cant fault duncans either. Both my students and some of the artists I used to tech for both used duncans as replacements to original pickups. I personally also use Bill Lawrence OBL's. Be careful there are many copies and fakes on the market. Make sure you match the potentiometers to your pick ups. Some only require 250 Kohms others need 500Kohms.

Cheers

Chris
  6. elitesatellite

elitesatellite New Member

cant fault all the emg single coil pick ups they tend to give a good clean sound but punch on a a boss se700 effects board and you can let it play it self.
    also good for carrier to noise ratio quiet when not played
  7. RedXIII

RedXIII New Member

Humbucker
  8. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

I am an EMG fan myself...but I find that If i have the gain cranked on my Boss VF-1 that little bit too much...the bastard things just feed like you wouldn't believe....but ya get that I guess

Dave
  9. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

Oh...and the battery goes flat @ the most inconvienient times

Dave
  10. California Sky

California Sky New Member

EMG's are a bitch cause they're active........great sound if you wanna play metal.......if you're doin everythin from stevie to megadeth i'd suggest a seymour duncan JB, damn versatile and it's a passive so no worrying bout batteries
  11. rrocksxxx

rrocksxxx New Member

the srv single coils are great... you can get quite a bit of versatility if you pair them with a humbucker
  12. scenario

scenario New Member

Have you ever heard of Kinman pickups? They are from Australia and are the most sensational sound that I have ever heard. I have fitted a set to my '73 Fender strat and have never looked back since!!!! No batteries and have all the sound and response of the best Fender originals but humbucking as well. Knocked my Dimarzios sideways!!
    They're on the web just type into a search engine
  13. ronmazia

ronmazia New Member

just bought seymour duncan blackout 2 metal. is the sound profile still megadeth dave mustaine favor?
  14. brc 103

brc 103 New Member

I realise this is a very old thread but I use Bareknuckle pickups in my Ibanez :)